• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Garmin chartplotter /sounder intermittant problem

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Garmin chartplotter /sounder intermittant problem

Post by Don »

I have a garmin 198c chartplotter/sounder in my Albin 32 sportfisher. Sometimes the sounder(depth ) works & sometimes it doesnot work. does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be ? I am thinking about buying a Airmar P79 inhull transducer Do the inhull transducers work satisfactorily ?? What is the thickness of the hull on a 1989 albin 32 sportfisher ? Any help will be greatly appreciated :)
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Re: Garmin chartplotter /sounder intermittant problem

Post by Jack »

Mine is a Garmin 546s and it requires mineral oil in the receptacle in the bilge that aims the ping directly downward. If the oil evaporates or leaks, it won't work.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Don You should be aware that the in-hull transducers will not work through the cored part of the hull. You might be able to find a solid section where you can place the transducer but if your present transducer is malfunctioning it may be simpler to replace it with something similar. I like the tilted element transducers and went with that option when I upgraded my electronics last spring.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Don, Where is your transducer located on the hull? If it is anywhere that bubbles generated by your motion would pass over the face of the xducer, it will not work. Does it work all the time when you are going slow or are motionless? Maybe the problem is the location. The thru-hull transducers work well, but not if you fish deep (like 300 feet or so). They don't like hull thicknesses over about 5/8" either. That said, Mine works great in my 27FC. It's mounted on my keel bottom, inside, and is installed with a big blob of pure silicone (no liquid pot). I learned this from some commercial fishermen who got tired of keeping the mineral oil topped up. Mine is very accurate to about 250 feet, which I verified by leadline. I don't have any water deeper than that here in the river to verify deeper readings. Mine is the Airmar P79 also. Heed the advice about a cored hull, it will not work thru any type of foam or balsa core. Ben
Don
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don »

I'm sorry that I was unclear about my existing transducer . My transducer is a bronze thru hull(airmar b744v ), which is about ten years old. Thank you all for your comments. :oops:

Return to “Electronics”