• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Trawler tracker

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Trawler tracker

Post by kjg1951 »

My friend who has a kady krogen sent me a app that you can keep track of where they are ... Does albin Also have that app or is there another app for letting friends and family keep track of our journey ??
Kevin
New Bern nc
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Trawler tracker

Post by Tree »

I just have "find my iphone" enabled so the wife can keep an eye on me.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
BobHaze
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hyannis

Post by BobHaze »

Active Captain has a new component the call Locations that purports to do what you're talking about. I've read about it in their newsletter but am not familiar with it yet. You might check it out at https://activecaptain.com/locations/index.php.
Bob
2004 Albin 35 CB COMPASS ROSE
Cummins 6BTA 5.9
Former owner of 2001 28 TE ALLEGRO
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

Not sure if activecaptain is the same thing, but I use AIS. Automatic Identification System. That all the big boys have to use now days. I can see them and more important they can see me and the coastguard keep an eye on me so does my family on one of the many free apps that are there. Not the best, but I bought a cheap chinese Matsutec HP33A and it works well. Even you boys the other side of the pond can watch where I am for free if you wish...
Mike Ebert
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sausalito, CA

Post by Mike Ebert »

I use an app called Boat Beacon, it's free. You obtain a number ( also for free) from Boat US and enter it and your boat info into the settings. When you turn on the app when on the water it will act like a chartplotter, identify your boat and the others around you with AIS. Supposedly the Coasties will know exactly where you are if you need help. Fun too.
CATCHALL
31 ft. TE
Sausalito, CA
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

I went to the app and it is now $9.99 or less I am looking at the wrong app..
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

Im not sure how your apps work on an iphone. My system is a designated system with a full size VHF aerial that will talk and receive data ship to ship or ship to shore at usual VHF ranges. With an iphone will not the unit have to be in range of land based iphone toweres.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

denchen wrote:Im not sure how your apps work on an iphone. My system is a designated system with a full size VHF aerial that will talk and receive data ship to ship or ship to shore at usual VHF ranges. With an iphone will not the unit have to be in range of land based iphone toweres.
That's how it works for me - when the wife says where have you been today, obviously I don't tell her I've turned my phone off - I've been out of range haven't I?
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

I find it confusing that as far as I can tell there are two completely different and separate systems that are both called AIS. The Boat beacon app that I have on my android tablet is the Internet based one, broadcasting one's position and information over the internet by satellites picking up the postion from a GPS enabled smartphone or tablet. The other one is the VHF one that picks up and sends out the poistion and info through VHF transmission. I have an AIS receiver VHF radio that is networked to my chartplotter at the upper helm and the boat beacon app on my tablet. The big commercial stuff and pilot vessels mainly use the Internet based one and the large pleasure boats seem to mainly be on the VHF based one. The tablet based system does not show up on the Chartplotter and vice versa. If anyone knows more about this stuff and could explain whats going on more clearly, I would love to learn more.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki

Return to “Electronics”