• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

has anyone here installed an autopilot...

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
tomcat rio

has anyone here installed an autopilot...

Post by tomcat rio »

... in their albin 28? if so, i'd appreciate some feedback.
been thinking about one for next year.

10-q
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I waited 3 years to install one in my boat. I wish it was there day 1.

I have a Furuno NavPilot 511 unit. It makes coming in from offshore a whole lot more enjoyable. Trying to hold a course with nothing to look at but GPS and compass becomes real boring fast.

The good news is you can see it next weekend! See you at B.I.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I am in the process of finishing that up now. I installed a Raymarine 5000 pilot and have already installed the head the feedback sensor and the flux compass and just need to do the pump. I have done the same one on my old boat. Its not that hard to do, and after having it you cant go back.
I will be going to the boat today and take pics of the parts I did.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

I have installed the Raymarine ST6000 autopilot with the 6001 hydraulic inboard. When we bought the Te 28 I took out what was there for electronics and installed a complete Raymarine package that included the C 120 navigation display, smart pilot, fluxgate compass, radar, GPS and fish finder.

Use my auto pilot all the time and am real happy with it. It is definitely worth having. You can see the layout of the installation on the express forum and look for helms too. Have some pictures there you could look
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

TC,
I have a budget model. The Sharon, model wife-1.
Works great!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

I took some pics today of what is done for the autopilot.
The first one is the dash (the one I had to completely redo)

The next is of the rudder feedback unit

And the one of the compass did not come out well. It WAS mounted under the step going down to the cabin but there was too much interference so I had to move it, it is now mounted under the bathroom sink area.

I have not tied in the hydralic lines yet but that should be done in the next week or so, I just had to wait for the "kit" from Seastar (2 tees and some adapters)

They dont sell this Autopilot anymore but most of the parts still look the same.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Be careful were you are mounting the fluxgate compass. It needs to be at least 2 feet away from any thing that can cause a magnetic disturbance. The step going down to the cabin has the battery right behind, so it’s not a good place. Under the sink might be to close to the water heater. Plus I have a pump in there. Heater might be back far enough just be careful there. You are limited for a safe place to put the fluxgate. I installed plywood on the front inside of the seat pedestal. There I mounted my smart pilot computer and fluxgate. Installed a mounting board on the inside partition under the throttle control and mounted my transducer there to keep those two away from each other as far as possible. I like these areas to put your electronics in for they are well protected from the elements. Even if you start taking seas on board they should be safe in this location.

The Fluxgate worked good in that location until I started storing my tackle bag under my feet at the helm. Then I found the interference started to happen. I moved it just this week back on the partition back of the cabin just before the floor storage box starboard side. It seems to be working well there. Sea trial is showing only six degrees of deviation correction. They say you are doing well up to ten degrees. The fluxgate also likes to be centered and low in the boat too keep yaw effect to the minimum.

Serge I will be out at the block if you want to look at any thing. I am looking forward to meeting you.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Came with the boat, but it's my second most favorite electronic after the GPS, Radar and Fishfinder... :wink:
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

We've had autopilots on our boats since the early 90's. I can't imagine running a larger boat without one. It improves your efficiency remarkably. You'll get where you're going quicker and use less fuel. You do need to be careful, however, in rough seas as the autopilot will often to the exact opposite of what you're supposed to in a following sea.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Where to put the Fluxgate

Post by Pitou »

PITOU had a Simrad/Robertson on it when I bought her. This is the 1st time I've owned a boat with an autopilot. I can no longer imagine going without. Once you've had one there is never any going back. Not only is it convenient on the troll or going to the cooler , as Mariner mentioned it also saves fuel and gets you there directly.

My fluxgate is mounted under the small hatch in the forward area of the quarter berth forward of the fresh water tank. In this location it has been pretty darn accurate. Just don't keep the tackle bag and or the ditch-bag on top of it. I learned that one. PITOU is the engine box model so it may be a little different on the flush deck. I stongly suggest that this goes on the project list at some point if you don't yet have one and then enjoy.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

microwave

Post by Pitou »

While running the auto-pilot on the troll last night I decided to spin up some hot water in the microwave for hot chocolate & schnapps to take the chill out. I signaled my buddy on watch with a spinning finger that the microwave was on and at the same time the boat steered hard to starboard and then back on course when the microwave shutdown. Pretty creepy. :twisted: I guess it's hard to find the perfect spot to mount that fluxgate. I guess the 28 is a big little boat when it comes time to cram it all in, but don't we love 'um. :D
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Wow...now if you could get that microwave to run backwards, you could steer from down below while making coffee..... :wink:
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Install

Post by RicM »

I just received my new Furuno 511 which I will attempt to install myself. Questions:

Where do you tee into the hydraulics?
The pump diagram shows a line going back to the helm, how have you done that?
What purpose does the connecting tube between the 2 fittings on the RAM do?
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

Rick -

I had the Dwayne from Pawtuxet Electronics install my Furuno 511 autopilot. He did a great job and I like where he placed the pump.

He placed the pump inside the medicine cabinet teeing into the lines close to the ram. He said that the higher and drier we keep the pump the better.

My boat is inside over at O'Connell's in Fall River. If you want to take a look at anything, let me know and I can meet you there.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

JackK wrote:Rick -
He placed the pump inside the medicine cabinet teeing into the lines close to the ram. He said that the higher and drier we keep the pump the better.
Jack
The installer did the same with mine.

The connecting tube on the RAM ????? I've always wondered. I have an air bubble either end ........... no clamps on mine as well (good photo) I've stared at that and wondered ... :? Was wondering if I should bleed ... planned to find out this commissioning session.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Electronics”