• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

has anyone here installed an autopilot...

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

pump position

Post by RicM »

Hmmm, I'm about out of room in the medicine cabinet, the Furuno 1920 is really deep. Might have to look under sink or near batteries. My bilge is pretty dry. How about the processing unit where did they put that? Picture was taken with my iPhone. In all fairness that's what I do for a living.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

The processing units for my fishfinder (BBFF1) and autopilot are mounted on the bulkhead under the sink. One is facing directly aft and the other is on the right hand wall (facing the sink).

BTW - because of the depth of my Furuno 1833, the dealer modified the medicine cabinet to enlarge the top area cutout to accomodate it. He covered a small piece of plywood with the headliner material and made some angled mounting blocks to hold it.

If I stop down the boat this weekend, I'll take some photos.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Placement

Post by RicM »

Thanks Jack, that would be real helpful. I think the 1833 is the same basic screen unit as the 1920, 10".
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

Yes, my 1833 is a 10" display as well.

I cropped the helm out of another photo to give you an idea of my layout.

You can see the Autopilot to the left of the main display Radio is below the autopilot.

Jack
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I had a Raytheon autopilot installed last summer and they put the processing unit in the space under the passenger seat. You have to remove the panel over the port bunk but you will find ample dry space there and it is near the center of the boat. My digital fish finder unit is also mounted there. It sends its information to the Navnet display. I believe the tubing on the hydraulic ram is used for bleeding and just left there for future use.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Helm

Post by RicM »

The panel at my helm is considerably smaller, it does not have the bump up that your photo shows.

Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

The tube is for sending oil to a catch bottle when you bleed. Push it on both bleed ends and it stores the tube for you. Back off on the nut on the tube side of the bleed tee to open bleed valve. You fully extend the cylinder rod and then open up the bleed valve on the extended side of cylinder. Hold the rod from retracting and turn the wheel until no air is visible in the tube.
You can go to this web sit for instructions. Follow the bleeding instructions inside the instruction manuals on the web sight for your cylinder and steering system. http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/INBOARD/inboard.htm

Bleed system after installation. If you run your hydraulic pump with air in the system you could burn the pump out with an air lock. It needs oil for lube and it has close tolerances.

The pump for the auto pilot can be installed anywhere in the hydraulic loop for the steering system. Install in a place were the pump will be protected. They also have instructions for installing auto pilot pumps.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

I didn't realize that the extra instrument height was only in the flush deck model. It does look like you have a lot less depth than I had to work with.

Your boat is an '03 correct? Mine is an '03 Flush Deck.

Jack
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Space, the Final Frontier

Post by RicM »

Yes, I have an '03 motorbox, and the hull # says '03 although it was primarily built in '02 as I understand. Unlike cars that have distinct model years, changes did not always occur on Albin boats at midnight on Dec 31st. As electronics have gotten bigger and cheaper the demand for dash board real estate has grown as well. Frankly I prefer the flat surface in front of the helm area. We will probably have to do some more sawing before we are through, which will just mean a larger mirror in the head I guess.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Installed a Raymarine 6002 AP last year and put the pump on the forward-most part of the battery shelf, near the bulkhead and just above the starboard stringer, in-line of the original steering tubing run. Turned out to be an ideal location - the tubing just does a graceful 5' turn up around to the helm. (I had room to do this because I modified the battery shelf long ago to accommodate 4 golf cart batteries.)

I put the course computer under the head sink and the fluxgate sensor in one of the compartments under the V-berth. It was not easy to find a magnetically quiet place for that.

Oh my gosh - after 11 yrs what a difference an autopilot makes!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackK »

Ric -

Here's a photo of the processor installations for my Furuno 511 and BBFF1 fish finder -

And the last shot is the modification required to clear the connetors at the back of the display unit.

Hope these help in your layout.

Jack
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks

Post by RicM »

Thanks for the excellent photos. It looks like I will not have to do any cutting for the 10" unit. The only thing in the way was the strip of wood that holds the strike for the access panel. I cut away about half of that strip from the strike towards the centerline of the boat and it doesn't effect the access panel at all and leaves me about 1/2 " clearance from the top (deepest part) of the unit. The new panels are a bit thicker, which also helps lift the back of the unit away from the rear of the enclosure. Under the sink looks like a good spot for the autopilot processor. I am still contemplating the location of the hydraulic pump however.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
MARINE ELECTRICIAN
Swabby
Swabby

Post by MARINE ELECTRICIAN »

I installed a simrad ap16 the first season. I am an offshore fisherman running from the south shore of long island. There is no better way to run 5 1/2 hours to the canyon.

As far as brands, I install marine electronics for a living "Marine Electrician Inc.). I am ABYC certified (electric) and have been doing this for years. There is no better brand that SIMRAD. Easy installation, easy calibration, reliable. I wouldn'y put anything else in my boat.

Tony Trapani
2004 28'TE (and I love it)
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

brands

Post by RicM »

Tony,
I bought my gear from BOE online and he tried to sell me Simrad, but I was bullheaded. My boat came with a complete Furuno Navnet 1 system. I added a 1920 chartplotter and decided that a Furuno Nav pilot (510) would likely be easier for an amateur to setup & interface with the existing gear. It is a marvelous machine! I probably could have saved a grand with a Simrad, but hey, what's another grand?
Ric
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Electronics”