• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Electronics install...issues and projects.

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: Electronics install...issues and projects.

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea should be a pretty simple cleanup once the box is removed. Any reason you want to remove it?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
TimQ
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: n/a

Post by TimQ »

I like the cleaner look with everything located on or close to the dash. I found a buyer for my Ray E7 and want to switch to a larger MFD. Moving that to the dash opens up the size possibilities. Also, I have a black box VHF that will replace the standard fixed mount unit in the overhead so it doesn't require much real estate on or near the dash.
TQ
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So had some help today and got a big push done. All wires are run, overhead is back up, just need to reconnect the spreader lights and the side panel and go back on. Then cut out the dash and finish mount and hook it all up.

I'll say this, the boat was not made for those over 6ft to work on...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Got another days work in today. Or at least a couple hours work. Got the 12" screen in, mounted my USB plug and drilled the hole for the autopilot. Now I just need to drill a few more small holes for the autopilot. Move the switches for the lights and connect all the wires. Hoping to do that on wed or thurs...but after that im done for 6-8 weeks as I recover from surgery. Hopefully I can get the rest of the work done before March so I can launch mid March...fingers crossed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

So close yet so far...got the bg 12 running as well as the radome turning (amazing image quality was able to track a guy on a golf cart halfway across the yard without really trying). The gauges and glow plugs/etc are all set and engine turns over so that's a plus! Just can't seem to get the go7 to turn on. Gonna take a step back and try again after my surgery before I panic. Might also be because I haven't gotten the transducer spliced back together. Still need to finish wiring the nmea2000 as well as 0183 to the vhf and hook up said vhf...sigh had such plans of finishing all this today:/
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote:...Just can't seem to get the go7 to turn on.
I'm sure you've verified 12 volts at the unit's connection to power. Did the supplied power cord come with an inline fuse holder that might be "fuse-less" at the moment?

And best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

12v at plug and fuse is present and intact. Gonna try and jumper it off a different 12v source with a different fuse holder and see what happens. But that's gonna be in a few weeks...thank you for the well wishes
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

Great job so far! I can't wait for live screen shots,Good luck with the surgery,Pete
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Jeremyvmd wrote: gonna be in a few weeks...
Well every desk jockey needs a 12V power supply and so does someone on rest recovering from surgery. I spent hours on my new Garmin unit while sitting at my desk last winter and lounging on the couch at home. Really got acclimated with it and had it all customized before the boat was even wet. I bought a spare power cable so it was simple to take the unit and power it up at work or home without having to remove the installed power cable from the boat. Surely a better way to pass time than the 99% crap that's on TV!
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Hmm I do have a spare 12v power supply sitting around. Maybe I can convince the wife to run down and pull the screen for me. Lol. Unfortunately ur good suggestion came a few days too late. Not gonna get a chance to run to the boat before tues:(. I am hoping that I'll be able to go down and work on the boat long before I can return to work. I won't be able to talk for 4-6weeks and my job requires me to talk to staff and clients. Don't need to talk to work on wireing;)
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Got everything fixed and wired up. It's looking good. Pretty happy so far. Quick pic of the displays. Didn't adjust the radar so excuse how crouded it looks. Plus the boat is on the hard with other boats all around it.
Left to do:
Replace salt and fresh water pumps
Replace/upgrade wipers to pantograph arms
Wire up vhf
Remount switches for spreader lights
Mount new roof
Wire LEDs for new roof
Replace forward bilge pump
Replace shower sump
Replace heating element in water heater
Fix gelcoat damage
Sand and polish gelcoat
Apply new name
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Nicely done. Where's the autopilot control head, under the dash next to the helm?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yup it's to the right side below the main dash. It's basically right infront of the throttle. It's one of the issues I still need to deal with. Somehow the screen got cracked, and it still says the rudder sensor is bad despite replacing the sensor a few weeks ago. Gonna call a company that says they can fix it. It's a cetrek 730 which is a now defunct company. Failing that gonna replace it next year with a simrad system...but that's not a priority this year
Added a pic from earlier that shows the location...
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Looking good! Hope your recovery from surgery went well.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Thanks. Im really happy with the turnout. Recovery has been spotty. Had a few minor setbacks but on the bright side I get to start eating soft foods on wed. No more liquid diet!

Return to “Electronics”