• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New vs Old Radar

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

New vs Old Radar

Post by JT48348 »

In my area there's a glut of used radar/chart plotters on the used market running for about $400-500.

I've never had a radar but plan on getting one. What's the consensus on buying a complete functioning used radar vs a new one. For example a used Raymarine R80 CLC for $500.

I'm wondering how big a technology change there's been over the past decade and whether I should stick with new electronics

Thanks
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: New vs Old Radar

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I wouldn't waste your money on an old radar. Even in the past 2-4 years there has been massive strides in radar tech. I just got a 4g simrad radar becuaee of its target separation and ability to see 20ft away it will even see items as small as a lobster pot bouy at a good distance. Even 5yrs ago that was a bit of a pipe dream. Yes new radars aren't cheap, a 4g broadband will set you back 2k. But it has no magnetos to wear out, puts out less radiation than the phone in your pocket right now, and has no warmup...not to mention you will see twice as much stuff as you will with even a 5yr old radar. Even if you look at the simrad 3G which is fairly new and still available, the 4g blows it away with what you can make out.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Ok good info. That's what I was looking for. Thanks so much
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

If you shop around you can find good deals on equipment...I managed to get my entire electronics package for 3800 not counting the vhf or nmea2000 network stuff. That included a 4g radar, 12" bg zues touch, airmar tilted element hdi transducer, and a simrad go7, including shipping to my house
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff

Return to “Electronics”