• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

transom transducers or thru-hull

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

transom transducers or thru-hull

Post by chesapeake albin »

hi, I have read through the posts and am still confused,

Am I better off going with thru hull or transom transducer/s for structure scan,

also, which transducer for Chesapeake bay with very occasional trips offshore, installer recommended B165, also B175,
is chirp important or more watts?

Still thinking about this Simrad nss and want to optimize this thing.

I have a 28TE btw,

Anybody with experience in this?
Thanks
Travis
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: transom transducers or thru-hull

Post by Jeremyvmd »

For an inboard you are better with a throughhull. Esp if you want structurescan. The prop wash will mess it up. You might get lucky if you mount it near the trim tabs...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The choice of fishfinder is mainly one of personal preferences. Better imaging costs more so you draw the line. I will just say that I had the tilted element transducer on my previous Albin and had one installed on my current one. You may not be observing the area directly below you and the deflection will increase in deeper water but I find it works well for my uses. I do not like a big transducer mounted on the bottom of the hull. I did not get the chirp.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

I put the Garmin 94sv with sides scan, thruhull transducer, still getting used to the unit , but the images of structure, Rock piles/Logs as well as individual fish are very informative, it reads bottom at cruising speed 16-18knots,

Return to “Electronics”