• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

transducer install need advice ASAP

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

transducer install need advice ASAP

Post by chesapeake albin »

Hello,

I am paying a company to install transducers in my 96' Albin 28

I told the guy it was a cored hull and he assured me I was wrong but if it was they would handle it properly.

I am having a B175 and also simrads structure transducers installed so 3 total.

So I got to the boat and they had cut out the top layer of glass and the core and are saying they want to install the transducers in ONLY the bottom layer of glass.
Is this OK?????
They cut out HUGE rectangles of glass and core.
Why did they not cut round holes and seal the core like any other hole?

I told them I wanted the glass built up flush with the rest of the hull so water doesn't sit in the valleys they cut.

What do I do?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: transducer install need advice ASAP

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yikes! I would not let them install it like that! You want more than just the outer skin there, not much structural integrity in just the one layer of glass hull. Plus like you said all the water will just sit in those cutouts. Im no expert but it sounds like they are cutting corners to save time and money for themselves!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Check the transducer installation instructions. That scares me! But without reading the manufacturer's recommendation for "no coring" in the way I would refer to Yelp reviews etc to feel better. It is scary to remove the core that adds strength to the hull.. Now if the manufacturer wants it that way and the transducer gets bonded to the hull I would sleep better. My transducer is not round as well but only a leveling block was cut and fit to the hull. You want it looking straight down. They might bond a block to level it out and again I would sleep better if that were the case.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

The transducers he's using are thruhull so they aren't shooting throuth the coring or anything. Should just be a matte of a 2-2.375" hole in the hull...
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Just have a fiberglass guy build up those areas flush with layers of woven roving and mat and then install the ducers.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

This is not ok. Never seen thru hulls, with round mounting hardware, installed like that before. Maybe they thought they were shoot thru transducers? I would not leave them like that though. Square holes are doomed to cracking at the corners with time. Especially with the thin skin of the glass. They've weakened the hull at and around these holes.

Here's a picture of the hull plug from when I installed transducers in approximately the same locations. If you take out everything but the outer skin and there's not much left.
Hull.jpg
As Rob said, you can get the holes built back up to flush without much difficulty. Just make sure they taper the edges. I would have them fix the square holes and install the transducers properly with a round hole and epoxy "doughnut" around the hole through all layers of the hull.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea you def want them to round those corners to get rid of the stress risers risk cracking there
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Chesapeake Albin,

What happened? Were you able to get the installer to to repair/redo the installation of the transducers? Those were pretty scary pics - can't believe that's standard practice for installations.

Marcy K
Paumanok
A 34 1986
Cape Cod MA
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
chesapeake albin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: chesapeake

Post by chesapeake albin »

I am waiting for the work to be finished. I think there was some miscommunication to the inexperienced crew actually doing the work.
At this point I think the company will stand behind their work and they are now in the process of fixing it up.

I am waiting before I freak out.....

I will post all the work when its finished. The things that are competed look really good so far, Its just taking a lot longer that expected. Glad I'm not doing this in May.

Thanks
Travis
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Yea electronics allways take longer than you think they should. I was hoping to be done mine three weeks ago. Lol. Should be done tomorrow tho

I'd keep a close eye on them going forward to make sure it's all done right!

Return to “Electronics”