• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transducer placement for 31TE

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Coho Spirit
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Newport. OR

Transducer placement for 31TE

Post by Coho Spirit »

We are replacing our transducers for a Garmin 7610xsv to a pair of GMR-51 chirp/down view transducers. The present transducer with a speed block can't be read when on cruise speed. We need to somehow figure out placement so we get a reading at cruise speed. Any suggestions.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Transducer placement for 31TE

Post by RobS »

The current one not giving readings can be either a placement issue or a problem with the equipment.

Placement will be specific to your boat due to existing thru-hulls and interior obstructions in the bilge. Stand at the bow and look down both sides of the hull bottom for unobstructed paths where you will get clean flow of water and not create turbulence for anything directly behind the transducer as well and then hopefully the areas you find are accessible in the corresponding bilge areas. The Garmin supplied docs specify the required fwd/aft and side/side specs for placing the pair in proximity to one another.

Going too far outboard and/or forward on the hull is where you will experience loss of signal at cruise.

I installed the GT50 pair for my 7612 last season:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8003&hilit=garmin
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

My transducer is in a speed block and does not drop out at cruise. The placement is port side just outboard of the stringer closest to the engine. I'll get a picture when I'm on board in the next few days. Below are some pictures showing the transducer in the speed block on the outside of the hull. I inherited this set-up from the previous owner and it works well.
20160211_111907.jpg
20160211_112816.jpg
20160211_112822.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Coho Spirit
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Newport. OR

Post by Coho Spirit »

Thanks for the information and your pictures are very helpful. I will take them to the yard and hope they will solve the problem.

Have a great day!

Dick
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Followup to my previous post -

Shots of transducer placement inside the bilge:
Front Bulkhead Back.jpg
Front Bulkhead Back II.jpg
Rear Bulkhead Forward.jpg
Rear Bulkhead Forward II.jpg
Outside of Port Stringer to Center of Ducer 3 5.eighths.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Electronics”