• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Volvo D6 strange problem

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Volvo D6 strange problem

Post by Russell »

I just had a very strange starting problem with the Volvo D6 and will relate it here in case it can help others with this engine installed by the Albin factory. About 3 weeks ago I attempted to go out and when I turned the ignition key nothing happened at all. The EVC display was blank. There was no power at all. I checked the battery and could not get anything to happen. I had the techs at the service yard look at it and after 3 hours they did not know what the problem was but did discover that unplugging the wiring harness from the engine reset the EVC and the engine would start once. So I decided to call in the local Volvo dealer who has an excellent reputation. At first he was stumped and checked with his distributor who had never heard of such a problem. Somehow he finally noticed that the fuel gauge was connected to the power cord of the Volvo ignition harness and when he cut that, the problem was solved. Whoever installed the fuel gauge cut the wiring harness cover and spliced into the power wire. This enables the fuel gauge to come on when the engine is started but the EVC apparently detects it as some kind of failure and shuts everything down. The mechanic said this sometimes does not show up for years and he had seen it with other things wired incorrectly in the Volvo system.
If you have a Volvo D6 in your Albin, look at the harness leading to the ignition switch behind the mirror in the head. If it has the power wire for the fuel gauge spliced in all you have to do is cut it and connect it to the electronics switch.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Volvo D6 strange problem

Post by Tree »

Sounds like whoever did the install has tried to wire it in like a Volvo car Russ!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
No Bananas
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Marina Del Rey, Ca

Post by No Bananas »

Thanks for that. I just bought a 28TE flush deck with a D6 310 Volvo.
Dan
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Hi Dan
You are going to love that D6. No smoke, smooth and fairly quiet. The Volvo rep here is quite knowledgeable and told me to run at 3100 rpm rather than the 2700 I was normally doing. He said it was better for the engine and it seems to like the 3100 speed and really hums. He also recommended a Walker Airsep which has more breathing area in its reusable filter. I need to see if it replaces the crankcase filter because that is $125 from Volvo and there are no aftermarket products available. He also mentioned a chip that will increase the horsepower to 370 but it costs $1200. That is cheaper than the difference in cost between a 310 and a 370 engine but it would take a long time to pay for itself. I find the 310 to be quite adequate. He personally owns a D6 and has the Airsep and chip installed in his engine.

Let me know if your fuel gauge is wired into the ignition wiring harness. I assumed the factory did it but it might have been a previous owner.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
No Bananas
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Marina Del Rey, Ca

Post by No Bananas »

Russ,
Thanks for the info. I just did an annual service and the mechanic told me the same thing. That D6 likes to run! I'm OK with 3100 r's cause I think that should get me 18 knots! I can live with that! I probably won't chip it up, well maybe! My boat does not have a Volvo fuel gage but an aftermarket one. I will change out the pickup and gage shortly. Only 500 hours on her and she sounds great.
Dan
Sol Scape
2005 TE Flush Deck
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Dan
My fuel gauge is also an aftermarket one. I meant the Albin factory wired it that way. I found out the Airsep does not replace the crankcase filter so I will stick with the Volvo air filter. I do get 18 knots at 3100 rpm.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Electronics”