• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE radar installation??

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

28TE radar installation??

Post by Mike Monte »

I had a Furuno 1833 radar/plotter installed when I purchased my boat in '02. A couple of weeks prior to me hauling it for the winter this past fall the radar became "intermittent". Time for an upgrade.
I had two local business' look at my boat and one quoted a price of $1800.00 (for installation only!) while the other one quoted $750.00 for installation.

I ordered a Furuno TZtouch and my son looked at the stall guide.

My son (BTW, an engineering major student at a Boston college) told me that he could install it.....His words: "How hard can it be? Mount the dome, connect it and run the wires as we remove the old ones... Do the same for the display module...

This makes sense to me....

Have any of you ever installed a radar/gps unit?

I am willing to give it a shot.....at least we can mount the dome, (where the previous one was), run the wires, etc..

What do you think?

Mike
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Re: 28TE radar installation??

Post by Mike Monte »

oops....
I posted this in the wrong forum - my bad
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

I've installed several electronics packages, both in my own boats as well as my parents and friends. Some systems are simpler than others (my 4g radar was no harder than wiring a home computer network), but I think any modern system can be installed by someone who can read and follow directions, reguardless or degree...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

and if you need to you can have a "pro" come onboard to make final adjustments (ours had the targets off by about 10 degrees) he charged a 1/2 hour to get on spot. I would for sure go for the cheap labor...although if you are paying for the education the labor may not be so cheap :)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Installed all of the electronics from scratch when I bought the boat. Installed the autopilot, radar, depth sounder and smart computer. I am glad I did it has been 10 years of no problems. You can do so much better job on your own. The hardest thing will probably be getting the cable run. Tight fit for the size cable. The 10 degree adjustment talked about is done right at the menu of the radar. Will be in the instructions and part of the start up procedure. Its under timing. Excess is pretty much straight forward. Enjoy the project with your son it is the good side of boating. Even if it takes a couple of turns it will be, "hay dad remember when we did the radar".
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
2manyboats
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Florida-Maine and in-between

Post by 2manyboats »

I always installed my own electronics. I can't afford the experts doing a five hour job, in three days. The best part is I know how it was wired, what may be a problem if it doesn't work when needed the most, plus it gets me me into the owners manual on how it works and how to trouble shoot problems. We elder folks tend to be afraid of technology but it is really easy.
First Light
25 Albin FC
38 Beta
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Well..... I'm about to undertake a complete install. I'll be sure and take pictures. Garmin set up off CL. Starting next week.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “Electronics”