• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Actisense EMU-1 analog engine to N2k sending unit

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Actisense EMU-1 analog engine to N2k sending unit

Post by rnummi »

Anyone have any experience with this? Evidently it piggy backs on an old engine's analog sending wires to supply data to MFD.... If it works it allows me to use the gauges display on my Garmin. Panbo had a nice review on it.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: Actisense EMU-1 analog engine to N2k sending unit

Post by Jay Knoll »

I guess this is it

http://www.actisense.com/products/nmea- ... emu-1.html

OK, so I'm a bit confused. Instead of looking at the gauges right in front of you just forward of the steering wheel, you want to put this unit in so you can have the information displayed on your, I'm assuming, chart plotter which is probably 12 " above the engine panel? And you are still depending upon the analog senders for the original data?

Sorry this seems like a solution searching for a problem. I love boat toys and look forward to upgrading my electronics but I'm still in the KISS camp, if I really don't need it and the add on isn't going to do anything better than what I've currently got, I won't make the change. I've read the PANBO review, it didn't change my mind. And the display takes up valuable screen space from the chart. I'm assuming that you could cycle between engine data and nav data, but then you've got to do another step rather than just glance down from the nav screen to the instrument panel.

Just my thoughts

Jay
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Im with jay on this one. Im a huge fan of having my engine wired to the nmea 2000 network and on my cat I've done just that. But that motor has a NMEA 2000 output, so with it networked I ger a TON more info than I would with just my gauges. With this system it would be handy if you were going glass dash or adding other data that you don't already hve. But to add it to existing gauges I think it's a bit of a waste...
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

I agree with Jay that I wouldn't want to give up any space on my Nav display for information that I already have elsewhere. The 4 corners of my display all have essential information that I couldn't do without - Speed, Depth, Heading and Lat/Lon and adding anything else would just make the map smaller

Plus, spending $400+ to have the same data on your display that you already have on your engine panel doesn't seem like a wise expenditure of precious 'boat units.' Spend that money on a modern anchor (Rocna or Mantis) and a new rode to go with it, or on something else that you really need

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Rick, I'm with the guys on this. KISS rules my life now and it sure is a lot easier! Ben
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

Understood, I was offered same by the guy two slips over. Just was wondering if it was a giant pita to install (or it could be used at all) on A27. I don't disagree w consensus. The ole 4D61 is running like a watch at this point. I was looking at it like someone giving an EKG to it. Not necessary but hey if your giving it away.....
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984

Return to “Electronics”