• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Handheld vhf

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Handheld vhf

Post by Pedro »

I'm looking to get a handheld vhf as backup,Defender has the icom,m25 for $129. Anybody have any opinion on the subject?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Handheld vhf

Post by DougSea »

I like all of the major brands. I had a West Marine unit (made by Uniden) that I loved but I've broken the battery latch and I'm not sure if it's worth fixing.

I've been considering the Standard Horizon HX870. A bit more expensive but I like that it has GPS and DSC built in. Good for trips in the Whaler or, if I ever actually get one, a RIB, as well as redundancy for the ships GPS.

Most of the knocks on it seem to be the white display (not great for night vision) but I'd rarely be using it at night. I also have a Uniden MHS75. Decent radio. The only thing I don't like is it only came with a 12v charger. Believe it or not I don't currently have a working cigarette lighter outlet aboard, so I have to remember to charge it in the car. :?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

In my estimation the only brand to buy is Standard Horizon.
They offered an extension on my warranty when I purchased an 870 at the February Atlantic City boat show when I told the company I wouldn't be using it through the winter.
The 870 has the DSC and AIS (if I remember correctly). Mine is a couple of years old so it may not meet the current specifications.
Dont forget if you get a model with DSC to register for an MMSI number.

Best regards,

Charles

Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck 
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA 3927
AGLCA 12114
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Ditto on the Standard Horizon HX870. It has a lot of nice safety features and has been great for keeping the kids in touch while using the dinghy. They love the GPS info on the display so they can see how fast they are going! The only problem we have had with it is when it gets wet. The speaker/mic fills with water and takes a long time to dry out. It is pretty much useless until dry. This may be a problem with all handhelds though.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

As a follow on to this post - for a number of years I've used the West Marine VHF 250. It's a really nice, compact VHF made by Uniden. 5watts, and includes VHF, FRS, AM and FM bands. And very rugged. It's now discontinued - more on that in a bit. When the included battery pack wouldn't hold a charge (after years of dependable service) I was able to obtain additional batteries from Uniden (It also has an AAA adapter pack - so I wasn't totally without use of it).

Naturally, right after getting the new batteries - I broke the latch that holds the battery in place. :(

Having looked for used ones in the past with no luck I figured I'd just throw it, and the battery packs, out and get something new - like the fancy HX870 mentioned above.

JUST as I was about to toss it I thought - why not call West Marine and see what they could do for me? So I did, and they connected me to Uniden repair. For a flat fee of $69 + $10 to cover shipping I'd get back either my radio, in like new condition, or a replacement. SO I boxed it all up and sent it in. One week later and it's on its way back to me. I'll have it this weekend.

While all this is going on (getting to the discontinued point now!) I did a quick search for VHF250 - and found a guy on eBay selling brand new (not in the original box) units for??? Yup - $69! And free shipping! So naturally I ordered 2 of them! On Monday. I'm holding them in my hot little hands right now, on Wednesday afternoon!! 8) e-commerce rocks!

The vendor apparently has a few left - so if you want a solid, compact, not too fancy handheld VHF cheap - check it out. (I have zero connection with the vendor - I just really like this radio!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182265452242
IMG_3994.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DougSea on Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add photo
Doug
Sonny IV
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Doug,Thanks, I have never bought anything on eBay ,I'm very suspicious of all e commerce without some firsthand feedback, I'll look into it, and at $69, bucks looks like a win,Pete
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

Bam.. got mine coming like I need a third hand help? Liked the tri watch feature.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Ordered it this morning,sadly I scheduled my haul out for Oct 17th as all the other dates were getting booked, and I anticipate a more normal winter here in Ct, I might have to pop the whaler in the water for the fall blackfish run,
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Pedro wrote:Ordered it this morning.
Excellent! I'm sure you'll be happy with it, especially for the price.

I was playing around with mine last night. Now that I have two (actually three, but don't have the repaired unit back yet) I can test out the FRS bands as well. Kinda cool. 8)
Pedro wrote:...sadly I scheduled my haul out for Oct 17th as all the other dates were getting booked, and I anticipate a more normal winter here in Ct.
We'll see what happens. I love how the weather service can't get a week's worth of weather consistently right - but can forecast months ahead!!

I called Essex Island yesterday to see how late they'd let me stay in the marina. December 1st baby!

That will actually lead to an EARLY haulout for me, as in the past I've had her hauled on the last work day at Norwalk Cove before Christmas. Since I'm no longer a year-round customer there I expect they'll haul her shortly after I arrive back. Of course if the weather guys are actually right I won't be doing much boating even in November.
Doug
Sonny IV
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

DougSea wrote: I was playing around with mine last night. Now that I have two (actually three, but don't have the repaired unit back yet) I can test out the FRS bands as well. Kinda cool. 8)
On curises our family uses the FRS band so that will be fun if I can find a good channel to use. Then I can listen to other marine traffic.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Hey Guys, Did you test your radios yet? Got mine today, doesn't transmit or receive vhf,just my luck,,, first and last eBay purchase,,,,
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Pedro wrote:Hey Guys, Did you test your radios yet? Got mine today, doesn't transmit or receive vhf,just my luck,,, first and last eBay purchase,,,,
Sorry to hear you're having a problem. Both of mine work perfectly on all bands. Have you contacted the seller for a replacement? Don't give up!!

A quick thought - make sure it is set for US bands. It supports US, Canadian and International. Not sure if that would make a difference, but it might.
Doug
Sonny IV
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

DougSea wrote:
Pedro wrote:Hey Guys, Did you test your radios yet? Got mine today, doesn't transmit or receive vhf,just my luck,,, first and last eBay purchase,,,,
Sorry to hear you're having a problem. Both of mine work perfectly on all bands. Have you contacted the seller for a replacement? Don't give up!!

A quick thought - make sure it is set for US bands. It supports US, Canadian and International. Not sure if that would make a difference, but it might.
It would..
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Pedro »

Yes set to US band tried every frequency, we have the seatow auto radio check near me, I tested it right beside my I dash vhf, no dice,I'm sending it back and I'll buy something from west marine,
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

I'm a little confused. Did you try and transmit to your ships VHF, or just the SeaTow test? Just seems strange that it wouldn't work.

Assuming you're not headed on any trips soon I'd still ask for a replacement - but that's up to you. I'm still a big fan of the radio AND e-bay! Don't let one bad experience put you off. Not everything I've picked up in the store has worked either.
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “Electronics”