• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

WIFI Booster Installation

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

WIFI Booster Installation

Post by Alan_Douville »

Anybody have any ideas on installing a WIFI Booster into a Albin 28 TE? Wondering how hard this would be to install the antenna up on the mast and running CAT5 Cable into main cabin?

I am looking at the BAD BOY Xtreme MJ by Bitstorm.

Thanks!

Alan
Valkyrie
2008 Albin 28TE
St Joseph MI
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: WIFI Booster Installation

Post by Tree »

i'd think it would be really easy - you could follow the route of your VHF aerial cable and terminate behind the dash or remove some trim and run the cat 5 behind that.

I have a friend who installed last year a system by Shakespeare on his live aboard as the wifi in the marina is pretty terrible!

Alternatively if you are using the wifi for transmitting between equipment on board, why not use something like a netgear aircard? I have one on FP2 that has a LTE SIM card installed but we also use it for sending data back and to each others devices etc.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Alan_Douville
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Joseph Michigan, Pier 33

Post by Alan_Douville »

We are planning to do some distance cruising so the need is for better connection power to Marina WiFi's. The local connectivity is not my primary worry, its approaching the wiring :)

Alan
Alan

2008 28 Albin TE NE
Valkyrie
St. Joseph MI.
Hull Number: AUL 28 942 H 708
Nepidae
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essington, PA

Post by Nepidae »

There are a number of Wi-Fi boosters out there and I don't know anything about a 'BadBoy' but I do know something about the Wirie.

First, regardless of what you use, is the simplicity of the unit. Is it simple to install? Is it simple to use? Is it simple to trouble shoot? and Is it simple to get tech support? If you don't answer YES to each of those questions, look for something other than a BadBoy. I hope your BadBoy doesn't turn into Boy its Bad.

Another thing to take into consideration is what to use when there is NO Wi-Fi available and you WILL encounter that. Then you might as well have a coat hanger hanging out a window.

My experience with the Wirie (Google it) is that you WILL answer yes to each question, plus if you were to purchase the Wirie Pro you can use it to pull in a G3 & G4 signal. You don't need Wi-Fi to get online. I have a SIM chip from when we purchased a Go Phone for my wife and used that for the data chip. I purchase data as I need it. I do that as I don't have any more phones available on my plan plus it is a way to watch my expenses.

Several guys on this listserv also have and endorse the Wirie. Be aware, it isn't an inexpensive alternative, but it works and support is great.
Calm seas,

Charles

Jane & Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA-3927
AGLCA - 12114 (ret)
Currently: On the Loop

Return to “Electronics”