• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Range of a portable vhf

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Range of a portable vhf

Post by Pedro »

Since replacing my antennae and fishing the new one through the Gunnel wire bundle seems to be a winter project I need to know how far a portable vhf reaches?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Range of a portable vhf

Post by DougSea »

See this write up for a good, practical explanation of VHF range.

http://www.boatingmag.com/marine-vhf-radio-range

Bottom line - approx. 3 miles to another hand-held. Further to a shore station (like the CG) with a tall antenna. Power adds clarity but not as much range. That comes from antenna height.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Gypsyjon
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Apalachicola Florida

Re: Range of a portable vhf

Post by Gypsyjon »

VHF radios, whether Marine of Ham 2 meter are line of sight. Thus the higher you get the antenna the further you can broadcast and receive. So you can hit the horizon and maybe just a bit further since VHF radio waves will curve over the horizon just a tiny bit. VHF is pretty much all about the antenna, not so much the power.

Ham radio VHF's use repeaters normally located on the tops of tall buildings or mountains to gain range. I do not think that marine VHF repeaters exist, maybe the Coast Guard has some though.

Return to “Electronics”