• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Electronics Suite....need hull angle at stock ducer site

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape May, NJ

New Electronics Suite....need hull angle at stock ducer site

Post by taggteam »

Good evening gents...I've decided after a lot of research and hands on "playing", on the new electronics for the new boat.
I've looked at Simrad, Raytheon and Garmin....
Quite an investment...but my deciding factors were ease of use, installation, calibration, and usually not tops on my list....but warranty/customer service. I was told by two large dealers that Simrad warranty is 2 years, but if somethign goes wrong, it's typically a 4-5 week turn around process....where Garmin for the first 60 days is overnight, and after that, typically less than 5 days. The two packages were within a few hundred of one another, with the Garmin being the more pricey. So...decision made. I've decided on the Garmin 7612XSV, with HD radar, sidescan and downscan sonar and the Garmin Virb camera. I'll also be installing the Reactor autopilot as well...

So....my dilema is transducer selection. I'm no stranger to boats...electronics installations, glass work...etc. I was talking to the supplier today, and he suggested rather than going with two separate ducers for the side scan, to install one IN the keel...not the skeg...in the keel forwark of the skeg, centerline. This is a job...requiring some glasswork and I'm not sure I'm sold on that idea. It's the ideal place for a transducer...and likely sees the cleanest water....but I'm not convinced that the juice is worth the squeeze.

Here are the thoughts I'm having..

Cost - single multi function transducer which handles sidescan and downscan is around $800. Twin transducers is around $1400.

What has got me thinking is...if I had the deadrise for the location of the standard thru-hull location on the engine box 28TE...I could make a decision on whether or not I would try to mount the "all in one transducer" in that current single location...thinking is that if the beam misses the hull to the left of it, (as I believe it is fore of the skeg) I might be OK. I actually think that will work fine in this hull....and it would save $600.

Has anyone installed one of the multi scan transducers in a 28 in that location, and what are your findings if so?

Also...if someone knows how many degrees the hull is at the transducer location, that would be a help.

Thank you in advance.....
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Re: New Electronics Suite....need hull angle at stock ducer

Post by djpeewee »

I installed pretty much the exact Garmin package you mention - 7612xsv, 24xHD radar, GHP reactor w/ smart pump autopilot, dual GT51M transducers. I opted for the dual transducers and am very happy with the performance. We frequently see depths of 1000+ feet and have not lost bottom even at cruise speed. The single transducer may have performed just as well, but I only know the dual setup.

I am not sure of the exact location of the factory transducer in the engine box model because ours is a flush deck. But I did use the factory hole for the starboard side and mirrored its location for the port side. If I recall correctly, I cut the fairing blocks for an ~18 degree deadrise. You don't have to be exact, just close. Overall, the transducer installation was a breeze. I wouldn't waste time messing with the keel if I were you.

The package is outstanding in performance and ease of use.

As far as Garmin's warranty service, I can sadly say that I am very familiar with it. Garmin has replaced the 7612, the CCU in the auto pilot, and the smart pump/ECU assembly in the auto pilot. They have been very responsive with quick turnaround. Not sure why I ended up with lemons, but it is what it is. I have one of the first batches that shipped, so I am hoping the newer replacements will be the end of the problems.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Pedro
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pedro »

I installed the Garmin 94sv, side scan,down view etch, using a single gt41?transducer port side very close to center line of he hull, right in the center hatch area, it definitely loses some coverage on the starboard side scan image,for example it will reach out to 300'to port but only 150' to starboard, however I find that side scan is really not all that it's sold to be anyway,I never lose bottom even at 19kts, and images are crystal clear,Garmin support is second to none, they are a phone call away all the time and will walk you through operation of your equipment while your in the boat,Good luck,Pete
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taggteam »

Thanks Gents....that made up my mind. My thinking is...I'm not gonna spend that kind of coin and not have it work to it's potential...
I didn't realize that the hull deadrise was that much at the midship...or close.
Twin transducers it is!
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

You saw where I had mine mounted, I had to use the 20* tilted element transducer in that area next to the keel.
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taggteam »

OK folks....here's the latest. We got the Garmin 7612XSV installed along with the Autopilot head and xHD radar.
The NMEA 2000 Backbone was an intimidating thought.....but it was sooo simple. I have installed 10's of electronics suites over the years....Garmin's new stuff makes it ridiculously easy.

As well, we put the new helm and companion seating in.....these seats are the old Arrigoni Design seats...that were $1400 or so each a few years back. Springfield bought the design....and they are now $550 from Overtons. They recline 45 degrees, are high back, and....well....just get yourself a pair. You'll be really happy with this choice.

Next on the agenda.....Transducer installations (twin side scan and down scan), Gyro compass, auto pilot pump and control, and rudder angle indicator...along with the hydraulic plumbing.
Garmins new "Reactor" setup uses what they call a "shadow drive"....no more hitting the standby button to take the wheel....works sort of like cruise control in your car....touch the brake, and control is yours.. With this, the inline flow sensor senses flow from teh helm, and you've got control until you give it back. slick stuff....can't wait to play with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taggteam »

Well....I'm done with the GPS, Radar, and autopilot installs. The Garmin stuff is really easy to install. I've done lot's of electronics installs in my days...and this was BY FAR the easiest installation I've ever done. It's funny, I was in a local pub in Cape May on Saturday and overheard a "fisherman" discussing his new autopilot, and how the "secret" to it was the new NEMA 2000 backbone that he had constructed on his boat. He was talking about it like there was some sort of wizardry involved in it. Obviously, he paid through the nose to have the backbone installed, along with the autopilot. Let me tell you....it's the simplest installation that you can do. I'll leave it at that.....if you need some help with it....I'd be glad to explain how it works. I also do some install work as side work...

In any event, I'm having the boat hauled today to have the ducers installed. The existing is a 2" shaft through hull....and the new ducers are around an inch post. So...between the haul and the storage and materials, id made financial sense to have the outfit that I bought the electronics install them. Thsi will be the second time of 30 years that I've paid someone to work on my boat. But...as I said...it was almost a wash, so why deal with it?

Back to the electronics....the Garmin autopilot was not only easy to install, but it's setup was very user friendly and operation is simple as well. I was able to fashion an aluminum "shelf" mount for the pump, which I mounted under the helm seating area. I installed the Rudder angle indicator and cabled it ahead of time to the location of the pump, and installed the CCU in the closet under the sink in the head. All plumbing was straight forward to the helm, and the "shadow drive" was installed between the pump and helm and works great. All hydraulic hoses were fitted with shutoff valves in order to able to bypass the autopilot system for service or maintenance.

If you are considering a new suite of electronics....consider the Garmin stuff. It's come along way....and has surpassed most competitors in terms of usability.

Some photos of the pump install are attached....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

looking good...hope they get the ducers in quick and get you back in the water asap!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
taggteam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by taggteam »

She's back in....down in Cape May. Looking for a nice day to run he back up.

Return to “Electronics”