Board index Everything Albin A25 / A27 - True Classics Forward Hatch Gasket

Forward Hatch Gasket

Albin's "power cruisers"

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:03 pm
Jay Knoll Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Home Port: Vero Beach FL
Hi everyone

Does anyone know the correct size for a replacement gasket for the forward hatch on a 27FC?

Thanks for the assistance

Jay

Post Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:58 pm
JT48348 User avatar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Home Port: Detroit

We've got to deduce the brand and model of the hatch.
Any idea?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:27 pm
Supporting Member

I now know the source of the rusting staples attaching the cabin liner to the inside of the boat -- failed forward hatch bedding. This probably isn't news to Joe but I discovered the problem when I took the hatch off to re-bed it while I was looking for some information to purchase a replacement gasket. BTW I found a manufacturer's sticker on the hatch so I don't think I'll need the AOG brain trust to help me track down a gasket.

Anyway, the bedding was dry, cracked and there were gaps underneath the hatch. But perhaps more importantly I discovered that the liner was attached before the hatch was installed and the edge was wrapped around the hatch opening and left unsealed. So when water was forced underneath the hatch and got past the failed bedding it was absorbed by the liner which essentially is a thin sponge. The so called "bedding" was in such poor shape that I think it was cheap house caulk. Other than a thin layer which stuck to the hatch surround, most of it flaked off in large chunks.

Anyway, cleaned everything up and re-bedded with butyl tape. When I install the new gasket I'll test everything with a hose, but at least for now things are better than they were.

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 am
Supporting Member

But of course things didn't work out. I ordered a new gasket from Bomar (who purchased the Pompanette line) The hatch is obsolete and they send their best guess for a replacement gasket. Of course when I installed it and did the hose test there was water inside the boat. I bit the bullet and bought a replacement hatch from Marine Connection Bomar. But it didn't fit the opening because of a "repair" done at the factory. It appears that the original hatch opening was cut too large, and a big mess of mat/fiberglass was put in the corner to fill the gap. The old plastic hatch fit but the new bomar was too big by a hair. When I was filing down the fiberglass the repair sheared off, it looked like it had never been properly bonded to the surrounding deck. Fabricate a piece of teak to fill the gap, west system it in, fill remaining gap with 3M Marine fairing compound. You know the drill...

Anyway it is now safely in place. I forgot to bring the hatch number home with me, I'll get the information in case anyone else has to replace theirs

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:39 am
Supporting Member

Here is a pic of the label for the replacement hatch
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to A25 / A27 - True Classics