• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

How Many Zinc Anodes on FC27?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

How Many Zinc Anodes on FC27?

Post by Jay Knoll »

Just got back from the yard where I'm going to have a bottom job done. Haven't had the boat out of the water in 4 years. That was when I bought the boat and when I was replacing the zincs that were installed by the PO the guys at the yard said that I was "over zinced" with 4 anodes on the rudder (I counted them as two, with on half installed on either side............) anyway they recommended that I only install 2 anodes one on each side of the rudder) which I did. I have anodes on the prop and shaft as well.

Fast forward to today, I'm going to have to have a new cutlass bearing installed and told the mechanic that I was having problems with water coming up the rudder stuffing box. He took a look at things and said that the bonding system wasn't doing its job because the shaft had corroded a bit and therefore wasn't making contact with the rudder stuffing box where all the other bonding connections are made. He also said that I got bad advice and that I should have both sets of anodes installed on the rudder.

So, just wanted to find out what other owners' experience has been.

Thanks for the assistance

Jay
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: How Many Zinc Anodes on FC27?

Post by Beta Don »

Jay,

Too many zincs? That's a new one on me - What's the problem . . . are they slowing you down?? :lol:

If you still have some portion of all the zincs still there after 4 years, you're not 'under-zinc'ed either. When you pull a boat and there's no zinc left, you should probably add a couple more

I would check the packing on the rudder shaft and if it's still pliable, tighten the cap half a turn or so - That should stop your rudder shaft leak. After 30+ years, I would expect to see a bit of corrosion on that shaft and if your zincs are still there, it didn't happen over the past 4 years, at least not IMO

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: How Many Zinc Anodes on FC27?

Post by Jay Knoll »

I should have mentioned that I've had the zincs changed several times since the last haul out (my bad, didn't keep records so don't know how many times will have to do something about that in the future)

The rudder shaft had been repacked and I have tightened down the nut several times but it still leaks underway.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”