• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow Pulpit

Albin's "power cruisers"
PonusNick
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stamford, CT

Bow Pulpit

Post by PonusNick »

My Albin 27 has a very sturdy and substantial bow pulpit. I suspect it is original equipment...but it's condition has deteriorated. I think it's pine...I want to replace it with Teak or mahogany or red oak...any thoughts?
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Bow Pulpit

Post by tego »

All the factory bow platforms were made of teak, but were not very sturdy, with a very small bow roller. Most have been replaced by now. One bump with a solid piling and it was toast. I replaced mine, which was original, with one of 1 1/2" solid teak, and a larger bow roller. I also added a Lofrans 1000 12 volt windlass, 'cause I'm gettin' older. Ben
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Bow Pulpit

Post by Beta Don »

I think the 'Bow Pulpit' is the stainless rail that keeps you from falling overboard - Sometimes it's bolted to the anchor platform and sometimes not

If you're into sparking brightwork and you plan to keep your new platform varnished year after year, either Oak or Mahogany would be an OK choice - Both of those hold their finish much better than Teak which is an oily wood and is very difficult to get varnish to stick to

But, if you're like me and have a thousand things you'd rather be doing than sanding and varnishing brightwork, then Teak or Ipe would be a better choice as they'll stand up longer without any finish on them. Ipe may even be better than Teak because it's harder and doesn't deteriorate as much after years in the sun and salt environment - They build docks out of it

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”