• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Helm Seat

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: A25 Helm Seat

Post by NickScheuer »

Much shorter than 18", OldDemps. I sawed both posts off to suit the different elevations of their bases, so both seats would be the same height. They don't appear to be the same height because the seats slide fore-n-aft, too.
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Question. For bench Helm seat,
1) how are they attached to the starboard bulkhead?
2) does anyone have supplier links / idea for buying a hinge to attach bench to bulkhead??

I’m not finding any rust resistant hinges that would work or hinge components for installing a easily removable helm bench from a TBD starboard bulk head bracket.

Pictures and recommendations requested.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Dkirsop's at the top of this thread is a pretty good modification. It looks similar Originally they were attached to the starboard bulkhead with a chunk of aluminum that was bolted right to the bulkhead. No fancy dan hinges. Due to the thickness of the seat, if you were either clever or lucky enough to get a folding back, any hinge needs to be away from the starboard wall, thus the stand you see in his original post...so it all folds up and out of the way.

Mine does not fold up, nor do we have the deluxe hinged backrest, but I did modify it to spin around and shove up to the wheel for happy hour. Mine also does not need to be removed to open the engine cover, since the inner seat legs sit on the battery compartment floor system. And my engine cover is unhinged as well. It moves all the way aft to check the engine.That seems to me to be the only reason for folding, if your engine cover is hinged.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Willie C's comment about the attachment of the seat to the starboard wall is pretty accurate. To remove the seat for access to the engine box was a cumbersome affair. However, the modifications I made to my seat are not difficult and the materials I used are readily available.

The seat hinges were fabricated from the original seat back brackets and some Garlick heavy-duty seat hinges. The original Garlick hinges are not sufficiently large to accommodate the Albin seat and backrest. I carefully cut the original Albine seat back brackets bisecting the angle formed by the bracket. The hinge portion of the Garlick seat hinge was then cut off the Garlick assembly and attached to the Albin brackets using pop-rivets and 5200 Adhesive. This then provided a hinge large enough and heavy enough to accommodate the Albin seat bottom and back.

If the seat is to fold up it has to be hinged outboard of the starboard wall and at a point far enough out from the wall that the distance from the wall to the hinge provides enough space for the thickness of the seat and the seat back when folded. This places the hinge about 12" out from the wall. Also the seat has to slide out from the wall to create the clearance for the seat to pivot. I used standard T-track for the slide and Bimini hinge connectors for the tilt hinges. A cable guy holds everything in place when the seat is deployed and positioned for the helmsman.

The tubular structure that supports the other half of the tilt hinge is formed from standard 7/8" diameter stainless tubing and standard rail fittings. I fabricated the bends using a conduit bender for 3/4"EMT.

It is a simple matter to fold the seat up to access the engine.

If you are interested I will post pictures that illustrate the details.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Wait until it warms up. I think there are several here who would benefit from some pics.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”