• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Ground tackle for A27FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hutchinson Island, FL

Ground tackle for A27FC

Post by changer »

Good morning... looking for an estimate of the length of 1/2" anchor rode that will fit and fall easily in the locker on the boat... what lengths are being used in the fleet?

thanks, doug, KEEPER
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Ground tackle for A27FC

Post by Beta Don »

I used 200' of fairly stiff 1/2" rode and it fit in the anchor locker pretty easily. If you're using a 'limp' line, I don't think 300' wouldn't be a problem
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

I Can't remember how much chain is in the locker but it must be more than 100 feet I'll measure it when I get back from our cruise and wash it down with fresh water
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

I currently have 50' of 5/16" chain and 150' of 1/2" 8 strand brait nylon on mine and have a lot of room for more if I so desire. The brait rode is much better than 3-strand, as it doesn't hockle, and falls easily into the locker. According to the specs, it absorbs 75% more energy and uses about 60% of the storage space compared to 3-strand. Ben
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by changer »

Thanks All for your input. I am looking at the 'limp' 8 strand nylon line as well with 15 ft of chain.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Post by smacksman »

With very little tidal range in Florida and 2'-6" draft anchoring in 6 to 10 feet of water was the norm. At 3:1 scope/depth ratio I left 30 ft. of 5/16" chain on deck in a milk crate and never used the windlass. SO much quicker to let out and get in! And laying to all chain the swing circle was MUCH smaller than with rope/chain scope.
So I would go with 30 ft. of chain if you want rope/chain scope and use the rope when it blows.
Kind regards and fair winds to all on this forum - I haven't been here for a while.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by changer »

thanks... good approach. budget will determine chain increase...now dealing with a new leak in Al fuel tank ! It's a boat...

all good.
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Post by Marcy K »

Hi,

We too had 30' of chain on our A27 and it served us well. As for your leak, one summer we found diesel leaking from the engine room into the aft cabin sole. My duffle bag had acted as a wick and soaked up a good bit before we discovered the source of a somewhat strong diesel odor. Ron had the trim removed from the aft cabin doorway in anticipation of removing the tank when we discovered (actually a mechanic discovered) that it was a fuel line leaking down the backside of the tank making it look like it was the tank. So - check your lines and good luck!!
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

changer wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 2:01 pm I am looking at the 'limp' 8 strand nylon line as well with 15 ft of chain
While I suppose it would be nice to have a 'limp' anchor rode, about the only advantage I can think of for rope over chain is that 3 strand rope has a nice stretch factor, which acts like a shock absorber to keep you from breaking out your anchor when the weather gets rough

3 strand nylon will stretch 10 to 15% when pulled to only 25% of it's rated breaking strength - This only works for NYLON 3 strand though. Other fibers stretch much less. 8 plait nylon stretches much less than 3 strand, so that's probably it's biggest disadvantage, IMO

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by changer »

Marcy, Beta Don, thanks for the info. Both relevant and worth pursuing....
Leak... similar clues... can't seem to find wet tank seams etc.... so you may be on to my problem.
Stretch... impressive differences between the choices... We will be mostly day anchoring so I may be able to reduce that in importance.

doug
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Doug, My "diesel fuel leak" turned out to be a bad gasket at my stbd sending unit on top of the tank. When I filled my tanks, it seeped out. I bought new sending units, 'cause the old ones didn't work very well anyway, and used permatex when I installed the new units - no more leak. I think our tanks are pretty well made, as I haven't heard of any actual tank failures (yet). Ben
changer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by changer »

Aluminum tank corroded on the bottom plate as it turns out. 1985 I'll be replacing it !!

thanks
doug

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”