• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

starboard forward cabin vent replacement for 78 albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
gregor
Mate
Mate
Home Port: petaluma,california

starboard forward cabin vent replacement for 78 albin 25

Post by gregor »

Hello
My albin 25 still has the original round vent which is metal with small screen area in the middle.The plastic part that holds the unit in place along with the water stopper thing is gone do to just being old and crumbling.
Can the original still be gotten as I want to keep the old gal as original as possible. There is no makers ID on the unit. Any ideas???
cheers
Gregor
"Thistle"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: starbord forward cabin vent replacement for 78 albin 25

Post by dkirsop »

The vent is made by Beckon and all parts are available on-line http://beckson.com/vent.html
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

You mentioned the starboard cabin vent. This is just a cover as it is configured to permanently vent the head - at least that is how the one on my boat works. There is no shut/open pull stop on this particular vent.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Agree with dkirsop. That starboard vent took me a while to figure out. Nice to know they are replaceable.
gregor
Mate
Mate
Home Port: petaluma,california

Post by gregor »

Thanks dkirsop yes mine has the sinple flopper stop round thing to stop water to vent roof channel to head. I still have the metal round that I think may be original fitted in sweden teehee. Oh if the old girl could talk.
am so happy that she is all original except for her volvo 2003T 3cyl turbo diesel.
cheers
Gregor
Petaluma,Ca soon to be in Brookings,Or.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: starboard forward cabin vent replacement for 78 albin 25

Post by tribologist »

Have anyone taken the “radical” step to cut through and have the starboard vent open into the cabin? Seems like the flow resistance in that cored out ”duct” is way bigger than the gap between the window and the wall. Im replacing the guts of my units since they are all crumbly and im considering getting the hole saw out.... turns out buying a new plastic vent and re-using the cover is cheaper than buying the parts. Apparently tge vent-o-matics are originally made in Sweden.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I've wondered myself how effective that head vent system is.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Anyone with a dual vent? Im also curious if people use the built in gasket or silicone to seal with? I was thinking of using both the oring and a bead of silicone.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

I replaced the plastic covers on mine with the SS covers from Beckson. The vent over the rear cabin disintegrated in the process so I ended up replacing it with a new vent of the same design. The new vent required a slightly larger diameter hole, I removed about 1mm from around the edge of the existing hole using a rotary file to get the new vent to fit. I only used the o-ring for the seal and it has worked well.

Be aware that if you replace the head vent with a through vent the sleeve on the new vent will cover over the duct opening from the head. This means head odours will be drawn from the head through the main cabin before exiting through the vent. You might want to avoid eating chile in confined space!
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

693644D7-AC59-48AE-9CD0-E2842FC63684.jpeg
Maybe i keep the duct open but as for containment im not so sure why the little turd particulate should choose that cramped little hole next to the huge gap next to the window.

Ulf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Weee! No going back now!!!!!
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Removed the o-ring and used up some 5200 i had left in the tube as sealant.
9DF37A11-3648-4820-B219-07A04C671D54.jpeg
New starboard vent!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I always looked at that head vent as an fresh air input, rather than an exhaust for the "partriculate" to exit. Still, that just meant the rest of the cabin could enjoy the airflow through the gap by the window.

A dedicated head air input vent and an exhaust vent would be ideal. Head compartments are always a hot and minimally vented area in my experience.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

dkirsop wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:46 am The vent is made by Beckon and all parts are available on-line http://beckson.com/vent.html
Reviving an old post rather than posting a new one...

For those A25 owners who have replaced their Beckson vents, I'm trying to decide which to get, plastic or stainless. I have two young kids. If I get plastic, they will inevitably break one of them. But plastic is half the cost of SS. If they break them all, I can replace them one for the cost of SS. But SS looks better IMO. I'd rather have the Stainless, but I don't know the durability. My boat doesn't currently have the vents, so I have nothing to compare to.

Essentially, does anyone know if the stainless vents can withstand getting stepped on every now and again without denting?

Thanks as always for everyone's advice!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Been there, done that. Replacing the Beckson vent covers that is, not drilling the head vent through the front-starboard corner of the cabin. Replaced plastic with plastic, but next time will go with s/s. Desert sun is brutal on plastics. One of the most aggravating things has been the front-port corner cabin vent that had a Nicro solar powered fan vent which had quit working & I replaced that one like for like with a new one a few years ago, but the new one has quit working twice since. Replaced the rechargeable battery & a whole rebuild kit which didn't last long either. Those suckers are expensive. So now I just leave it be as a passive vent.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”