• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

starboard forward cabin vent replacement for 78 albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Re: starboard forward cabin vent replacement for 78 albin 25

Post by Bob Noodat »

I put stainless on our sailboat. Very tough. I'd be scared of smashing the plastic ones, and I don't have kids, just my clumsy self. Buy plastic and I think you'll eventually end up with a very expensive SS one in any case.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN
nebulatech
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by nebulatech »

Bob Noodat wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:45 pm This seems a good price right now:
https://www.iboats.com/shop/beckson-ven ... nt-ss.html
That's an amazing price right now. I think I'm going to go ahead and order 3 of them. Thanks for the find!
Carolina Wren
1979 Albin 25 Deluxe
lwight
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: none

Post by lwight »

Hi there! Did I read your post correctly? Did you replace the vent on the rear deck, over the rear cabin? The vent that supplies engine air? My vents are leaking and I want to replace them. Where did you find your replacements?
Appreciatively, Larry Wight
Friday Harbor
dkirsop wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:07 pm I replaced the plastic covers on mine with the SS covers from Beckson. The vent over the rear cabin disintegrated in the process so I ended up replacing it with a new vent of the same design. The new vent required a slightly larger diameter hole, I removed about 1mm from around the edge of the existing hole using a rotary file to get the new vent to fit. I only used the o-ring for the seal and it has worked well.

Be aware that if you replace the head vent with a through vent the sleeve on the new vent will cover over the duct opening from the head. This means head odours will be drawn from the head through the main cabin before exiting through the vent. You might want to avoid eating chile in confined space!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

The ones on the rear supplying the engine can be ordered from albinmotor in Sweden. Shipping is not expensive. The beckson vent-o-matics are easy to find. If you have the stainless covers you can buy the white ones and use the guts with your old covers. https://www.defender.com/search.html?q= ... nt&x=0&y=0
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Merry Christmas!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Certainly the rear cabin vent is prone to getting stepped on and kicked. The fore cabin vents are pretty much out of the way. I replaced all mine to avoid UV degradation , they are more robust and they look better.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Another winter project...

The rear ones are degrading plastic and the fronts have rotted interiors.
Beckson, eh? Supplier? (Edit: easily found online.)

I did however fix a leaky window with toilet wax! Dry as a bone and plenty more where that came from. I read of folks keeping a wax ring on board for hull punctures and I thought, hmmm...
Burton
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ellsworth, Maine

Post by Burton »

Yes I opened up that starboard vent.

The guts of our mushroom vents by Beckson were also falling apart. I was able to take pieces from three of them and assemble one decent one for the aft cabin vent. Apparently, their plastic is not very UV resistant. They seem to be very cheaply made, and I found a lot of people complaining about them on the Internet. I replaced ours with Vetus mushroom vents which seem to be built much more ruggedly. When I opened up the hole for the one on the starboard side, there were cavities in the area between the cabin liner and cabin top. I ran a wire back into one, I think it went about 2 feet back, about an inch wide. I wound up filling the holes with foam, and then coating the sides with a thickened epoxy mix. Also, drilled out all the screw holes oversize, filled them with thickened epoxy, put in new screws using Bed-it under the flange.

(Related— the screws were allowing water to leak into the cabin, and of course into the core between the cabin liner and the cabin top. I bought a vacuum pump, and drilled multiple holes to pump out the moisture in the liner. I wound up drilling out (oversize) and properly filling over 100 holes in the top of our deck. The handrail screws were all leaking, some broken off, a number almost corroded in two.)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I did however fix a leaky window with toilet wax! Dry as a bone and plenty more where that came from.
Another good tip from WillieC! Note to self: buy a new unused wax ring, not a used one left over from a toilet replacement project.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"new unused"

Pfftt! Details. If the old one was working, the edges are just fine!

OUTSIDE EDGES.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”