• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

albin 25 trailer specs and pics ??

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: albin 25 trailer specs and pics ??

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Don,
I bought it in Phoenix, towed it to Biloxi and then last year we towed it home from Jacksonville FL.
By "it" you mean the A27, not the O'Day? An O'Day 25's weight would be closer to what an Albin 25 weighs, around 7,000 lbs with the trailer give or take. But 11K lbs? Yes, that would be more of a candidate for 5th wheel rig, which is what I'd want if we had a similar size & weight RV travel trailer.

If one is going to tow a boat long distance like that, it's better if you have the time to spend 6 weeks or longer cruising to make the trip worthwhile. A group of sailing club friends of ours are planning to bareboat charter a big sailing catamaran in the Exumas in May of next year, and air fare from Phoenix alone runs in the neighborhood of $1,700 per couple, plus the shared cost of a charter, making the total for 10 days around $4,000 per couple plus fuel and provisions. For $1,700 I can tow our boat up to Washington and be on the water for 6 weeks or longer, plus provisions and the miserly amount of fuel our boat uses and occasional guest slips in marinas, but mostly anchoring out, and wind up spending $3,000 or less, or averaging about $70 a day.

The O'Day 25 that our friends trailered up to Bellingham to cruise with us last year was an unusual one, had an aftermarket conversion to an inboard Yanmar 2GM20 diesel with sail drive & two blade folding prop instead of an outboard motor. Not many of those around. Seen here passing in front of Chatterbox Falls on the BC mainland.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: albin 25 trailer specs and pics ??

Post by Beta Don »

Yes, it's the A27 that weighed 11,000 pounds, or some number close to that - Hard to tell how accurate Travel Lift scales are

I installed a brand new Yanmar 1GM10 raw water cooled diesel with conventional shaft and a folding prop in my O'Day 25 a few years before I sold it - An outboard hanging off the transom can be problematic when you encounter rough seas as the up and down motion that far aft causes cavitation and you go almost nowhere. I loved the little diesel in the boat - Best change I made to it. My single handed cruising spinnaker was a bit less successful ;-)

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”