• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

want to buy an albin

Albin's "power cruisers"
realtorknox
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: florida

want to buy an albin

Post by realtorknox »

looking for 27-28 Albin under 25000. near florida
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Re: want to buy an albin

Post by Jeremyvmd »

The 27s and 28s are very different boats. The 27 are a displacement hull with max speeds around 12knts +/- a few. The 28 is newer and has larger motors and capable of mid to high 20s. You should be able to find a 27 in your price range. A 28 you would have to get lucky and it will likely be a boat that could use a little work (like mine did).

Are you looking for a displacement boat or planing?
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

I only know of ONE 27' Albin that could possibly do 12 knots. The hull speed is about 6.4 knots and that's about what we cruise at at most. The 28 on the other hand hauls a** , but their engines are much larger turbo'd beasts that have a fuel burn about 400% more than ours. They also cost from about 55-100K, compared to ours which will cost about 25-30K for a REALLY good one. If you're in a hurry, you're gonna pay for it. Read thru our posts on here for a year or two back and it will be apparent that the only thing they have in common are the name "Albin". Good luck. Ben
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Tego, that is a really good summary of this difference between the 27s and 28s. I have come to the same conclusions just by reading about two years of posts. I'll stick with my 25. Normally aspirated, mechanical fuel injection, 3 cylinder diesel. With an Albin nameplate as well, only actually built in Sweden.
Jeremyvmd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Waretown nj

Post by Jeremyvmd »

Tego I was figuring between 10-12 knots at best pegged for some of the newer 27s, not cruise speeds. I know they are a 6-7 cruise boat. Just trying to highlight the big difference!
1989 Viking 45C “Knot Crazy”
1998 Albin 28te "Shady Lady" *sold*
1999 seagull nautico 19 "Purrrspective" *sold*
Native watercraft prostaff
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Jeremy, Mine is an '87 with the Nissan, which is 78HP, and I can only reach about 9.5 knots at WOT. Another major difference is the full keel on the 27' versus a small skeg ahead of the smaller rudder on the 28. A casual look at the bottom on each will reveal that one is a slow cruiser and the other is made to get someplace in a hurry. I know the latest 27's had the big Isuzu 157HP and some have been repowered with higher HP engines but they still cruise best @ 6-6.5kts. I will go to a smaller engine if my Nissan ever gives up the ghost. I'd like a 4 banger for easier access and more room in my ER. The smaller Kubota 50HP has about the same torque as my Nissan. I only burn about 3/4 gal per hr now and I expect the Kubota would get about the same. In any event, I love mine. It's a great cruiser and a lot more just plain fun than my much larger boats in the past. The open cockpit is great for just joyriding with friends on the river here. Ben
thomashwagar
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gaylord Mi / Cheboygan Mi

Post by thomashwagar »

I'm not sure I want to leave the Club but I may. I have a 1987 A27 Family thats in [what appears to be] very good condition. This is my second year owning the Albin and I'm not sure I feel comfortable in the big water. It's not in Florida, it's in Michigan but it has an almost new trailer which might extend your range. It's well equipped, 78hp Nissan with 2500 hrs, everything has been well maintained A/C, heat, nicely installed fridge, full canvas, that's not new but has many years of wear left. This winter I plan on painting the windows and outer wood, but it looks pretty good now. If I keep it, I plan on replacing the rub rail, nothing better to crisp up a boat. I'm a new car dealer and I have been on many wild goose chases, this is not one, no surprises. In the next month and a half, I'll be making my decision. Would you like me to keep you in mine. Price range $27k to $30k. Tom Wagar 989-614-1087
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tego »

Tom, I'm surprised you don't feel comfortable on the lake. I boated up there for 15 years and I'd feel completely safe in my '87 27FC. I wish I had a trailer so I could get up there without going the LONG way up the rivers. Our boats will take a lot more beating than we can. I just left Evart, MI yesterday (hammer dulcimer festival). I'm curious about your fridge-where it's mounted,make and model etc. Could you post a pic on here please? A lot of the owners would love to have one, but they're usually a major compromise-what do I lose for what I gain? Thanks, Ben
thomashwagar
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Gaylord Mi / Cheboygan Mi

Post by thomashwagar »

Hi Ben, I'd be happy to post the fridge lay out. Last Friday Lynnette and I ventured out and meandered down the Cheboygan River to where it starts Mullet Lake. What a nice first time out, "No Wake" the entire length and a speed perfect for me and the Albin. It took well over an hour and was ,, quite shallow in spot and, I have my first two lock visits, which was interesting. Next, Mackinaw Island, it's about 13 miles from the Cheboygan River and the path is close to shore. I might end up liking this boat, just fine. I love the boat in my drive way. Tom
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

looking for 27-28 Albin under 25000. near florida
Florida's a big state and covers a lot of territory. But that said, there's this 1988 A27 up on Craig's List's Pensacola page.
A27 in Pensacola.jpg

Except for the body laying on the bunk in the forward cabin (you have to see the ad pictures to know what I'm talking about :wink: ), it looks like a decent price for all that's there for $17,500. He says it has a "power wrench", which I take to mean a power anchor windlass winch. I'd like to have a nickel for every time I see the word "winch" misspelled as "wench" or "wrench".

If you do go to Pensacola to look at the A27, while there I also suggest taking a look at this Saga 27 pictured below. Way out of desired your price range, but would be interesting to look at just for the fun of looking at cool boats. Biggest downside to this boat would be all the people ooh-ing and ahh-ing at it. That said, it would not be a fast boat, strictly displacement hull design, unlike the A27 semi-displacement. The ad says it's a Swedish boat, but they actually were and still are being built in Norway. These Saga boats adhere more closely to the traditional Scandinavian rounded stern/double ended 'snekke' design that even the Albin 25 which was also a snekke influenced design.

From the Albin 25 History on the Albineer's of BC site:
The [Albin 25 & 27's] boat's reliability wasn't the only factor that made the 25 so popular. In the 1960s the dominant Scandinavian motor boat type was the snekke, a double-ended displacement craft, which usually had an open-backed wheelhouse, centre cockpit and small aft cabin. This design evolved into a robust form of displacement or semi-displacement cruiser, particularly suited to northern climes. Its hull was characteristically seaworthy, while the centre cockpit allowed the crew to enjoy the brief summer sun before retreating under the canopy as the mercury fell.

We retreat under the canopy to get out of the sun, not just get warm.

Saga27b.jpg
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/Sa ... X9olIgrLcs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”