• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 87 model Albin 27 Express has wood strips on the trailing edge of the rudder.

Albin's "power cruisers"
bennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dallas Texas

My 87 model Albin 27 Express has wood strips on the trailing edge of the rudder.

Post by bennett »

Was this the original design? I would appreciate pros & cons input.Thanks,BMS*
Last edited by bennett on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: My 87 model Albin 27 Express has wood strips on the trailing edge of the rudder.

Post by Beta Don »

Could you post a picture of the rudder?

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
bennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My 87 model Albin 27 Express has wood strips on the trailing edge of the rudder.

Post by bennett »

image3 (1).JPG
image2 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

That's odd. My 27 was an 1984 27FC but didn't have anything like that. It was a streamlined teardrop profile fiberglass molding. Your's looks like a bronze plate welded to the rudder post.

Be interesting to see if anyone else recognizes it. I'm curious myself.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Early models ('83 and some '84's) had the fiberglass 'sailboat rudder' as Jon described and later models had an all metal rudder, which I *thought* was stainless, but maybe not

For BMS - Those wood strips are NOT stock and I would get rid of them. Not sure what your previous owner was trying to accomplish by adding them, but they will for sure slow you down, increase your fuel consumption and probably both

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
bennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bennett »

Thanks for the feedback.My rudder is cast bronze,made by Edson for theAlbin 27.Part# A-9161.It is clear on the casting after removing at least 4 coats of old bottom paint.The wood strips have been removed.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Those strips were added to increase steering response in a turn to make the boat more maneuverable. You will see them on the rudders of larger FD commercial fishing boats. They do work and the loss in speed and fuel consumption is negligible for them. Yours were rather crude and not faired to the rudder very well so I imagine they were not much of an asset. Ben

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”