• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What electric bilge pump for central bilge in A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: What electric bilge pump for central bilge in A25

Post by kerrye »

On our North Channel trip the cover gasket on the raw water pump blew out. By the time I realized it the engine was running with the crankshaft underwater. I said enough of this shit. I drilled a hole in the lower front wall of the engine compartment draining it into the forward bilge behind the bow cabin floor liner.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

My strainer/strum boxes for the rear bilge on the A25. 1" polyethylene irrigation pipe, a plug and a 90 degree elbow. Fittings are tight enough that no clamps are necessary in this application.
strum boxes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I ordered a Gulper 320 yesterday. Hodges marine has them at $137, considerably cheaper than other sources. Ordered an electronic switch also.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

When I made up my strum box I only drilled two rows of holes alternately staggered along the bottom of the pipe. The reason for this was to achieve maximum drawdown of the water before the suction broke. Using irrigation pipe is a great idea and it would be very low cost if you wanted to modify your strum box.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Thanks. Very good idea.
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

Our boat was equipped with a pvc hard line extending into the bilge. A strainer was made by drilling holes in the end of the pipe and capping it. Water is removed using a water system type pump. So far so good!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I was going to use a separate strum for each of the two pumps in my rear/central bilge--the original manual pump and the Gulper 320 I'm adding. I've since realized that since space is tight in there it is probably better to put 90's on either end of one strum box and run the suction lines for each pump to either end to save space.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”