• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Oil Change

Albin's "power cruisers"
dscott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Oil Change

Post by dscott »

Hi all,

i just bought a 1984 A27 with a Ford 4d61 engine. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for changing the oil and perhaps suggestions for what tools will be useful for maintenance. I have changed the impeller and have a new set of batteries.

thanks,
Dean Scott
Kestral
'84 A27FC Peugeot/Lehman 4D61
Burlington, VT
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Oil Change

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I use this type hand vacuum pump extractor for oil changes, pulling old oil out through the dipstick hole. Start & run engine for a few minutes to warm up some before hand to help reduce viscosity, especially in cold weather.

These are available at Home Depot, Amazon, Walmart, West Marine, etc for $32 and up. There are also 12V electric powered ones on the market
AA Oil Extractor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Dean,

Many people automatically associate 'Lehman' with 'Ford' because the majority of their marine engine conversions were 4 and 6 cylinder British tractor engines - The venerable 'Ford Lehman's'

But, not all Lehmans were Fords

They also converted other engines for marine use and one of them was the late '70's, early '80's Peugeot 504 car engine and that's what came in the early A27's - The Peugeot/Lehman 4D61, 4 cylinder Diesel 61 HP marinized auto engine. A much higher revving engine than the Ford tractor engines they converted for marine use

Now that you know it's not a Ford, you can look on www.RockAuto.com and find all the 'common' parts for it at much better prices than you would have to pay if you were ordering them for your 'marine' version from a marine retailer ;-)

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Aquatraveler
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Pensacola Beach, Fl

Re: Oil Capacity

Post by Aquatraveler »

Oil Capacity for 4d61
Bob Noodat
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart Lake BC

Post by Bob Noodat »

Dip stick is your best bet always.

Peugeot diesel capacity is (corrected) 5 litres, 5.25 US quarts. Try that and see where it is on the stick. Everyone apart from me has something better to do right now.
BUYADODGEIFYOUHAVETOBUYAFORDIFYOUWANTTOBUTBUYAGMIFYOUPOSSIBLYCAN

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”