• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Electrical upgrade

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

A25 Electrical upgrade

Post by Sunsetrider »

<t>Two years ago I studied and read and entered the brave new world of marine electrics, and rewired my aging battery room by installing and ACR . The first pic below shows my efforts just before final connections. I was secretly a little vain about the whole thing. My strut was tempered by the fact that one result of my efforts: the engine instruments all stopped working.no tach, no fuel gauge, nothing.<br/>
<br/>
So I paid a guy what turned out to be big bucks to make more of a rats nest of unlabelled wires. Instruments still don't work.<br/>
<br/>
So another run at this year, this time with a full time abyc guy recommended by my local cpss. Upfront quote of $2k. 3 days work. Includes wiring up my 260w solar panel and 2 new golf cart batteries.<br/>
<br/>
What a difference a pro makes! See new front and back of the bulkhead in the pics below.</t>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 Electrical upgrade

Post by kerrye »

That's some nice looking work. I could learn a lot from that degree of electrical meticulousness. $2k though. Wow.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

All the parts and pieces add up for sure. And new batts. It's called a BOAT because all the other four letter words were taken.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Each one of the wires is neatly labelled.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

How are they labelled? Some kind of specialized wiring labels?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I really want to see your boat when we pass through Ontario & Quebec between Kingston & Montreal on our way to Maine, which if things stay on schedule (subject to change without notice of course), we should be in your area around Sept 7th and/or 8th on our upcoming road trip.

Here's what we did on our rewiring project, which came about as part of an upgrade of holding tank from 9 gallons to 20 gallons, which meant relocating batteries from next to the engine to the storage locker under the starboard cockpit bench seat. I was able to complete it successfully DIY, referring to Don Casey's book as a guide. A few pics of our setup. I see you also went with the 4 terminal Blue Sea Systems battery switch & ACR. Didn't have any problems with the engine wiring, since it's mostly all Yanmar factory wiring harness.

For shore power AC outlets we have three on one 15amp circuit, one in the head, which is a GFCI outlet, one on the forward wall of the hanging locker in the main cabin, and one in the cockpit on the back side wall of the raised portion of floor under the driver seat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”