• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mazboot up and running again.

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Mazboot up and running again.

Post by DCatSea »

After a very busy winter, and an unplanned break to get the transmission rebuilt I am pleased to say that Mazboot is operational again :D .

This has been a fraught few weeks, while waiting for the tranny rebuild and reinstall (my own fault for the last 2 weeks - it was too darn hot to let the mechanic into the ER - last thing I wanted was to find him desiccated in the bilge on Monday - so I slapped a stop order on work until it dropped below 90), and did some woodworking and cosmetics work, and worked on the new-ish hard dinghy.

Everything mechanical went back together today, and I took her out for a quick sea-trial in Herring Bay (south of Annapolis for the non-Chessie members).
Result was very good. Maryland Transmissions in Churchton MD apparently did a fine rebuild of the Hurth, and also ordered the correct, and updated, damper plate from Seattle. This was altered slightly on the WW2 era lathe at GPS Engineering in Edgewater, to accommodate the bell housing bolts, and Tim at Hidden Harbor assembled the whole kit and caboodle, in high 80s temps and humidity, thus allowing me to run around the Bay today - Happy Camper indeed!!! Less vibration, noise levels down (it is still a 4D61, though), better gear shifting and smoother running.

I'll be posting pics of the work done and the resurrected Mazboot shortly, and providing details of the new bits installed - engine mounts; transmission and damper plate, raw water filter and new wiring at the helm - thanks Ron - and (dare I say it?) some new wooden stuff.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: Mazboot up and running again.

Post by Sprig1 »

Glad you got it running. I was beginning to wonder what happened.
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Yeah! Hope to see you in September at the MTOA event!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Nice to hear of the great work done in Seattle. Now get out there!
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Thought I had better post pics of the rebuilt transmission and the old / new style damper plates.

Pleased to say that they both performed well yesterday on a short trolling trip in Herring Bay. Both performed better than my lures, which may have frightened the fish without actually catching any.

Note that the new damper has polymer thrusters, not springs per the old one.
Hurth trans 2.JPG
New damper.JPG
Old damper plate.JPG
Rebuild with stamped info.JPG
Rebuilt trans w. damper plate.JPG
Rebuilt Trans w. new style damper plate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”