• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Leaking rudderpost

Albin's "power cruisers"
skipperl
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Mendocino, CA

Leaking rudderpost

Post by skipperl »

Hello,

My Albin25 has developed a small leak at the rudderpost. How do I repack it?
Does it involve removing end of lower strut?

Thank you.
skipperl
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Leaking rudderpost

Post by WillieC »

I have had mine all apart, it is not difficult. It all depends on what is actually there. My boat has indication of hard grounding some time in the distant past so I am not exactly sure what is new and what is original. The skeg has a 90 degree fitting that holds the lower bearing for the rudder post. Pull the bolt, there is enough slop in mine to slide the fitting off the skeg, it doesn't have far to go, then the rudder will drop straight down (after you have removed the tiller arm above). You need about 30" clearance to the ground from the bottom of the boat at the rudder to fully remove the rudder.

However, I don't think you need to do that to replace the lip seal at the top as that is all it is. MIne leaks a little too and I may or may not replace it. I think my bearing has enough slop in it that simply replacing the seal won't do the job so a bearing replacement might be in order as well. Finding the pieces all the right size could be tricky. If you get the seal out, Bearings Inc. is a good source out our way. Or Albinmotors of Sweden likely has the original replacement on the shelf. They are good to deal with. Please keep us posted with this project as I know others are in the same situation.

Keep your drain holes to the bilge open to let any leakage out. It is a naturally moist environment anyway under the rear sole.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”