• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Impeller blues

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Impeller blues

Post by DCatSea »

Had to remove complete pump from engine to get to the impeller, which probably needs changing (F5/6). Pump has shot seal, which really needs fixing before install of new impeller, so I am sending it to Depco Pumps in Florida for an overhaul. This is necessary because the Jabsco replacement will be a really tight fit, if it fits at all, in the space available.

Will post pix of rebuilt pump in a few days. And yes, we are flushing the system before putting it back together, including a new cooler (see other post)
Old impeller 1.JPG
Old impeller 2.JPG
Old impeller 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Impeller blues

Post by hetek »

Good call on checking the oil cooler. Many bits of pump impeller and marine debris get caught up on the input side of the cooler.

The occasional back flush of the cooler with a garden hose stuck in the output end will do the trick. You'll be surprised by what comes out sometimes. I swear, when I did mine, a handful of what looked like pine needles came out!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Update:

Just received rebuilt impeller from Depco Pump in Clearwater FL. Very pleased with result - 7 day turnaround from my mailing tp them, and what looks like a very thorough rebuild (see pic). I'm not going to open the pump because I really don't want to break the newly installed seal.
Depco replaced seals, wear plate, impeller and gasket, and reconditioned the shaft and body.
I thought their price was very reasonable ($158.00 inc UPS return). They were very responsive and easy to deal with.

I'm happy to share named contact information with Albineers.

Will be re-installing with new hoses, and a new oil cooler, on Thursday. Hope to be sea-trialing on Friday.
IMG_3748.JPG
IMG_3749.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

$158 sounds like a bargain. I have heard good things about Depco. Do they accept pumps from the PNW? Kidding.
Did they paint it too or is that your handiwork? I swear when you take your car to a garage whatever grime and crud they have to remove to get to your repair, they bag it up and reinstall it before giving your car back.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This is raw water pump or fresh water coolant pump (me not being familiar with A27 engines)? Yes indeed you got off easy. Our cruise mates last summer had the pump go out on the raw water cooled Yanmar 2GM20 in their O'Day 25 sailboat, including failed shaft seal, up in Nanaimo, BC. Cost over $600 Canadian to have it rebuilt. Buying a new pump would have cost $200+ more. Also delayed our cruise be 3 extra days waiting for parts.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

I too was surprised by the bottom line, but that's what it was, so :D . The shiny new paint job was provided by Depco, and the whole thing looks remarkably like a new pump.

DesertAlbin: It's the RW pump (I hope)
Willie: if it will go in the USPS, Depco will take it, and send it back all shiny and new.

Incidentally the Jabsco alterative was over $500.00, and the Depco Marine Service Manager (Jim Beardon) wasn't sure if it would be a solid match. I was more than pleased to go with the rebuilt original, mainly because I knew it would fit. The original Johnson is also a very solid bit of Swedish metalwork.

I'll report back on the operation once its installed, but expect no problems.
Last edited by DCatSea on Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Good price. It cost me $177 just for the rebuild kit for our Westerbeke.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Installed rebuilt impeller pump today (along with a new oil cooler, hoses etc), and reseated the thermostat. What a difference - actually getting real, strong flow from exhaust. Engine ran at 2000 for 30 minutes, quickly warmed through and didn't go over 165 degrees. Will be testing under load, weather and Hurricane Irma permitting, on Sunday.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

That's great news, Doug! Sending off our spare pump to hopefully get it rebuilt. Thanks for the info! Just finished installing our new oil pump and spare starter and thankfully, she's back up and running!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Do you need Depco information? Glad to hear you are back in commission. Along with Sprig1 that's 3 27s back on the Bay this week. Yay!!!
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Doug,

Went out yesterday and noticed temperature starting to build up (Nissan 78hp). Checked the raw water intake and nothing was coming in and limped to a mooring. Got towed to my mooring, dove under and the raw water intake seemed clear and clean, but did scrub it and cleaned out the screen. Ran out of time and it's nasty out today; will check it again tomorrow and also check the internal hose connected to the seacock.

However, the more I think about it and the more I research, I'm thinking the impeller needs to be replaced. Not a very good mechanic, but will give it a shot. The timing of your post is ironic.

Thanks for the pictures and post, I'm sure I will need to refer back to it tomorrow.

Regards,
John
M/V Nirvana
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

These make impeller changes easier. I ordered one for our Westerbeke. Haven't installed it yet but holding the gasket in the right place while screwing in the small screws wasn't a simple task. I wouldn't want to try to do it in any kind of seaway.

http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

DCatSea wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:56 pm Do you need Depco information? Glad to hear you are back in commission. Along with Sprig1 that's 3 27s back on the Bay this week. Yay!!!
Found the contact info online so all good. Thank you. We discovered a leaking fuel return hose, so in addition to planned solar installation, hoping we can drill an access panel and replace the hose before heading out to the MTOA Rendezvous this weekend....unless of course, Irma decides to head our way. Hope to see you there!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

JFOkie - John - a slip neighbor had a similar problem, and sort of half joking I suggested he dive to intake and put a hose up it to wash out the line. He took me at face value and did this, and it worked. He also back-flushed from the inboard side (don't ask me how).

I'm also not a mechanic, but found that shadowing (and being the go-fer for) a good one quickly taught me a great deal about what I could do without messing up too badly. Doing a diesel course is probably very useful, but I highly recommend shadowing, especially on your own engine.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
JFOkie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dover, NH

Post by JFOkie »

Doug, a few years ago, I took a diesel engine course at the Wooden Boat School in Brooklin, Maine "Making Friends With Your Marine Diesel Engine" with Jon Bardo. The course was incredible and the instructor, Jon Bardo, was fantastic. We were given a book on diesel engines (not sure of the name) and I had that with me while I tried to figure out how to take off the water pump.

Before I removed the water pump, I closed the seacock and made sure the intake hose to the strainer was clear. I then removed the water pump and poured water down the hose going back to the strainer to see if that was clogged, but that too was clear.

Took apart the water pump and the impeller looked fine. However, I did install a new one and put it all back together. Fired up the engine, water was coming out of the exhaust so I knew the water pump and impeller were working. Not exactly sure what happened, but I'm going to replace the water pump after I haul out for the season. It's the original (1987) as far as I know and I probably should have checked that the internal gear (that spins the impeller) was working properly.

In addition to being happy that I made the repair, I now have more confidence in my mechanical ability. Of course, having the diesel engine book from the course and the Nissan LD28 service manual also helped.

Regards,
John
M/V Nirvana

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”