• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

MD17C fuel shutoff cable question?

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

MD17C fuel shutoff cable question?

Post by NickScheuer »

The pull-out T-handle for our fuel shut-off seems to have an awful lot of friction. There has got to be a way some of you other guys have lubricated this. I don't want to put the wrong thing in and have it get worse.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: MD17C fuel shutoff cable question?

Post by kerrye »

Does the cable have a cover or can you put oil or wd40 on the outside and have it move in?
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

I'll have to check. I was thinking any lubricant would have to go in the T-handle end. That would call for something with a lot of capillary capability to move it along toward the motor.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I installed a cable that says "PTO Control" or something like that. Got it from the guy who sold me the spare, spare engine for parts. I spent a bit of time straightening it out, then degreasing the whole thing with brakekleen then waxing it with another spray. I also made sure that all bends were very gentle when I installed it.
I realize yours is already installed, but it shouldn't be too much to remove the whole thing and go over it. If it is tough to pull laying on the ground, it is not going to get easier no matter what magic grease you use. With it out, gravity can be your friend.
Mine is also not the factory install, if you didn't already catch that. If I had much more trouble than I did, I would go with a solenoid and toss the cable. Still details to figure out going that route.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

There are cable lubing tools which are used to lubricate clutch and brake cables for clutch and brake cables on motorcycles. I almost bruise my hand every time I stop the engine. I might look into that myself.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The original shutoff cable is a solid brass rod in a coil wound casing. Simply apply 30W motor oil to the outside of the cable casing and let it soak through. Do this for the length of the cable. I did this on my cable and it is now very easy to pull and push.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

DKirso- did you apply the oil in situ or remove it to do the oiling?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I applied it insitu. Most of the cable was accessible. The small length that could not be reached posed no problem. It's not hard to remove the cable if you need to do this but try coating it with oil insitu first.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Thanks, guys, I'll try the lengthwise oil soaking method, and if it doesn't improve the situation, will look for one of those cable lube end clamps.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”