• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

25FC or 27FC some advice please

Albin's "power cruisers"
albinranger
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Ocean City, Md

25FC or 27FC some advice please

Post by albinranger »

Hello:
My name is Bill Simmons and I just joined this group.
I am thinking about purchasing an Albin 25 FC and looking for some
direction and advice.
I am not new to boating so I know what to look for as far as soft decks,
blisters, wiring and thru hulls. What I need is some specific info on the
25FC

The engine was replaced in 2001 and has 400 hours on it. It is a Yanmar 27
hp. So economy should be great and the engine is just getting broken
it...right??

It comes with the optional sail rig. Are you familiar with that?

It is a 1976 and they are asking $16k. Is that a fair price?

What about that table that stores "UP" Does it work well? Does it
increase the space below substantially?

What are the differences between the 25FC and the 27FC? I am also looking
at one of them BUT one of my conditions is easy to trailer, and the other
is economy. What would I benefit from the 27? Just two feet in size,
larger engine, less economy and ?????

How about headroom in the 25? I am 6'1". Will I be comfortable?

How about the size of the aft cabin? Is it big enough for two "average
size" adults?

Anything I should particularly look for in my inspection?

I really appreciate your help and advice. HopefullyI will be an Albineer
soon!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: 25FC or 27FC some advice please

Post by kerrye »

Not sure what the FC refers to in an A25. I've always seen them as designated A25. Decks are foam core in an A25 so soggy decks are not often a problem. 400 hrs is pretty low on a diesel engine. 16k seems a little steep to me. What is the trailer like? For a trailerable boat, the trailer is as important as the boat itself in my view. In my opinion the 27 is too big for regular trailering. When I was looking I did look at one with a sail rig but bought one without. When I considered their reputation for sailing performance, it didn't seem worth the effort to be raising a mast. I already had a sailboat anyway so was looking for a motor cruiser. My wife and I sleep in the aft cabin. The only drawback I've noticed is that I can't draw my knees up in the 'under the cockpit' section. We're not midgets so I'd say it's ok for most people.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

The "FC" refers to "Family Cruiser" of the 27' variety - the aft cabin model. The way I know it...

27 FC is similar to an A25 - both have aft cabins.
27SC is similar to the A25 Fisherman model - neither has an aft cabin. Just an open cockpit aft of the pilothouse.

The "SC" stands for "Sport Cruiser".

I would think the 27FC would be a bear to trailer. I owned "Bunkie", a 27FC and looked to buy for a trailer for her. Just for "In in the spring and out in the fall" transporting. The trailer prices stopped me in my tracks. Some people do trailer (not many, though). The A25 is your boat of choice for trailering. That's why I bought my current A25. "Superstorm Sandy" taught me that lesson.

I call the 25 the "7/8ths version" of the 27. All there, just a bit smaller in scale. I'm 6' and can stand in both but always find myself crouching below decks. Habit perhaps? The pilothouse is no problem though.

Economy is similar in both models. The A25's fraction of a gallon per hour compared to the 27FC's one gallon per hour. Negligible difference in my mind. Both like cruising around 6 knots. More than that you need a bigger engine and will burn much more fuel. I had "Bunkie" up to 8.4 knots with her standard 61 hp Lehman but she didn't like it there. These boats aren't race boats.

My A25 is still in the stages of reconstruction so I don't have any "liveability" experience with her. She did come with a nice tandem axle aluminum trailer and a newer 25 hp Vetus diesel, so I'm happy.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I should add that my A25 had 195 hours on a 42hp Westerbeke and about 2500 miles on a new aluminum trailer. Those two features were the main reason I chose it. Most other things just require time and effort and not a huge amount of $$.
markdbecker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Higgins Lake, Michigan

Post by markdbecker »

I have a 1970 Albin 25" Deluxe #575 with a Yanmar #YM30, with custom trailer and sail rig. Main reason I got the 25 and not the 27 is the ability to go more places with it. Same comments as hetek. Looks like you are about in the mid price range for her. I looked for 2 years before I found the one I have now. I do not use the sail rig on short trips as it takes two people too set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ticaboo
1970 Albin 25 series 2 #575
Yanmar 3GM30F
Residence: Jackson, Michigan
Homeport: Higgins Lake, Michigan & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'm with Ticaboo, except we've yet to attempt setting up the sail rig. Yanmars are great engines & quiet running. Trailering is the way to go if you don't want to be limited one cruising area, the caveat being as long as you have the free time for extended road trips and multi week cruises.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”