• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Recanvassing an A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
petersford
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Whidbey Island

Recanvassing an A25

Post by petersford »

Hello,

I am interested in advice on replacing canvas on an A25. I have seen some discussion of hard tops, so I guess I am interested in the financials of deciding btw a hardtop+sides vs. all canvas. We can transport the A25 so is there a recommended canvas shop(s) in the PNW (OR, WA, BC)?

Are there some things we should consider besides a straight up replacement? Cool ideas? etc.?

Cheers, peter
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Recanvassing an A25

Post by kerrye »

Curious as to the style of your existing canvas. I think the canvas on ours was original when we purchased it. It was a terrible design with the only door access being directly in the center at the stern above the aft cockpit door. Absolutely the worst place to try to step down into the cockpit.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

My A25 has just about the most basic canvas possible. It is just a simple, taught piece of Sunbrella that fastens around the cockpit perimeter and the rear edge of the pilothouse roof and sides. It does have a Isinglass window in it. That makes it fancy!

Here's the camper canvas on my former 27 FC, "Bunkie"...
IMG_0144.JPG
I liked this arrangement, covering the aft cabin. The side and rear Isinglass panels were zippered for access and replaced with a second set of screen panels for ventilation. It also keeps the noon sun from beating down on the aft cabin - a plus for those staying there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Our A-25 Deluxe came to us with two sets of canvas and ss bows. One set is just a plain cockpit cover with no windows or mosquito netting. I've never set it up, but I believe the fore & aft measurement of the top is less than the other cockpit canvas having zippered windows.

The pic shows the cockpit canvas we do use.
DSCN1106.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

A better pic of our
at Prairie St Brewhouse.JPG
cockpit canvas.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

We like our canvas design better than those we've seen photos of showing the cockpit cover terminating at the forward end of the aft cabin. Having the enclosed canvas top extend over the aft cabin roof gives us a sheltered place to put gear, like our large duffel bags which would crowd us out of the forward cabin if we stowed then there.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Lots of options. We kept the original design but added screens and flaps. We did not extend the canvas past the forward edge of the aft cabin in order to retain the option of using the sail rig. But to each his own. If you want to save $$ and are reasonably handy, Sailrite.com has everything you need to DIY. Just need to have the working space & beg, borrow, or steal a heavy duty walking foot sewing machine.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Here is ours. We can enter from either side, and the rear window has a zip-down vinyl section to expose the screen. I prefer the ragtop because I am standing, looking over the top of the window in most situations. We are not in a tropical climate, so the top above the helm is always open and the "lounge" area always covered for shade.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Mine is similar to Sunsetrider's. I built mine out of vinyl fabric which is waterproof and can be easily glued instead of sewn. My stern 'hoop' is a permanently mounted 1" stainless bar. It has three pieces, a top, a back, and two sides. Back and sides have windows and screens and zip on and off. I also am generally puzzled as to why enclosures are built out of Sunbrella which is not naturally waterproof.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Actually marine grade Sunbrella is waterproof. We used an upgraded version in Pacific Blue
color with extra coating on the inside surface. Bought online from Sailrite.
Stephen's (aka Sunsetrider) is very cool. We have the hot sun to consider, which is why we incorporated flaps & only attach back and side windows in cold or rainy weather (cold in relative Arizona terms when it's 60 in January).
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I can see why Sunsetrider's is set up for side entry. He has a large plexi Bomar hatch on the aft cabin roof which makes it impractical to come in from the back. Ours has the original frame bow which makes it near impossible to climb in from the sides. Our aft cabin roof is original as built with just the small vent, so entry & exit is via the back window.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I'm pretty sure Sunbrella is treated with a water repellent in the manufacturing process but it isn't naturally waterproof since it is a woven fabric. It is more aesthetically appealing than the vinyl fabric I used.

http://www.eastcoastcanvas.com/faq.htm#waterproof
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I like my BC hardtop. Poorly made as it is. And neglected by previous owners. Seagull poop and urine left untreated on fiberglass is like muriatic acid on concrete. Mine also has a nice gutter that doesn't drain over the side entries. Did I mention it doesn't drain? Period. It traps the aforementioned brew of caustics. Watch where you grab the teak rail. I will be remedying this over the off-season.

Starting from scratch, I would use plywood encased in glass with real electrical raceways and classic wood detail on the inside. But I have better things to do. Like redo the side and rear canvas/isinglass. Will be looking for a sewing machine soon.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”