• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1986 Albin 27 LD28 Head Gasket

Albin's "power cruisers"
kickinmule
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Berwick

1986 Albin 27 LD28 Head Gasket

Post by kickinmule »

Can someone give me the part number for a headgasket for this engine from Rock Auto.com??? Another source perhaps?
kickinmule
Mate
Mate

Re: 1986 Albin 27 LD28 Head Gasket

Post by kickinmule »

Can someone give me the part number for a headgasket for this engine from Rock Auto.com??? Another source perhaps?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

You could probably find the answer here since the engine was used in the International Scout.

http://dieselscout.ning.com/
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I don't see any head gaskets for the Nissan diesel offered in the International Scout in the Rock Auto catalog.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

You can look for a 1982 Nissan Maxxima on Rockauto's website and see all the parts they have listed there for the LD28 - I don't see a listing for the headgasket though. Maybe give them a call?

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
kickinmule
Mate
Mate

Post by kickinmule »

Thanks everyone, I've since heard that there is a gasket mfg company in Ohio that makes a template of the old gasket and manufacture a new one. Still trying to find out exactly what the name of the company is.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

This forum seems to be a very good resource for the LD 28 diesel.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewforum.php?f=2
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

This is going to be a tough find.

Kerrye's last post linking to the Nissan Diesel web site is the bible on the head gasket. Its not an impossible job, if you can get your hands on the correct gasket. Pay attention to the part about the notches that dictate thickness.

Also, are you planning a "off and on head r&r" as they call it? Is the case loss of compression between two cylinders next to one another or loss of fluid in some fashion? If either of those are the case, it would be smart to sent the head out to be fluxed for cracks, have valving looked at and to "deck the head" of the block in other words, make sure the block surface isn't warped. Almost all cylinder heads will warp to some degree as soon at they are unbolted from the engine they have been bolted to for years. My point is, the head gasket job is going to be a labor of love. With it off, I would do everything I could to make sure the new one does not let you down in the same way.

I may be cornered into a project like this myself to get some more life out of the engine before a repower. The thing that scares me about the head gasket project is the exhaust manifold. On the Nissan, the exhaust manifold is specific to the marinized version of our engines. I bet a custom one could be made ($$$) but do not forget, if you plan to send the head out for inspection, any machine shop is going to want the ex manifold removed and that could be the ugliest beast of the whole thing! Not to mention there is a gasket there that will likely need to be custom made should you get that manifold off and need to reinstall. Either way, my plan would be to take the head and ex manifold off as one (HEAVY) and fight them apart on the bench with heating, beating and other implements of encouragement.

I chime in not to scare anyone about this job, Im considering it myself as I have an issue with smoking/slight sheen of unburned fuel that could be a injector pump (I have a calibrated spare I need to install, another fight all together...) or it could be a loss of compression between two cylinders next to each other but the damn thing still starts and runs like a top.

Keep us all up to date if you are able to source a gasket and dive into this job! Best of luck, Torrey
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I don't see the Nissan Laurel listed in Rock Auto. Perhaps that is because I am viewing their US catalog. I would look at South American or European parts suppliers for the head gasket since the Laurel was sold in both those markets with the L28 engine I believe. It's also remotely possible that an longstanding International dealer may have an old headgasket sitting on a shelf somewhere. Talking to a Scout diesel fanatic might give you some leads.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Australia might be another good place to look since the LD28 went into Nissan Patrols which were sold there.
kickinmule
Mate
Mate

Post by kickinmule »

I have found a source in New Zealand that carries this headgasket. The thickness is 1.3 mm. Can any one confirm that this is the correct thickness?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

The thread I linked has the thickness of 3 different head gaskets for that engine. Not sure any was 1.3mm but the actual thicknesses are in it.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Looks like the fattest one is 1.28mm which is pretty close to 1.3mm.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

It might be worth buying this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NISSAN-Workshop-Manual-LD20-LD28-Diesel-Engine-FACTORY-Service-and-Repair-/361947843624?hash=item5445c5cc28:m:msy_K09d0IwdmvnW7LI0RuQ&vxp=mtr

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”