• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member - Rebuild

Albin's "power cruisers"
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Windsor England

New member - Rebuild

Post by Hortense »

Hi members.
I'm returning to albin25 deluxe ownership after 25 years.
I owned one on the West Coast of Scotland and have now bought another which is based on the Thames in Berkshire.
She needs a fair amount of modernising and upgrading but I'm ready to take on most of this myself and have her ready for launch next season.
I'm interested in teak decking and brightening up the saloon.
I'll have a new full length hood and upholstery done by professionals but will be painting the saloon, cockpit and hull myself.
Hope to pick up some ideas from other keen owners in this forum.
Regards
Steve.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: New member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Congratulations on the new to you boat, what great little boats. Please take some before and after pictures,. We all love to see our boats come back to what they were might to be.
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hortense »

IMG_0945.JPG
About $5000
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

She looks like a real beauty, you should have a real show piece when your done. Any problems hauling with canvas up ?
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hortense »

No problem the truck was limited to 55 and the overall height was good for all the bridges. 250mile trip. Much cheaper than getting a boat transporter or renting a trailer.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Nice boat! We had our A25 on the Thames a couple years ago. Thames River in New London, Connecticut, USA, not River Thames in Old London, UK. :wink:
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome to AOG. As an "Old Windsorian" I can appreciate your having an A25 on that lovely stretch of the Thames between Windsor and Oxford. Will you have the clearance for Folly Bridge? If so there is a whole new world opening up (and I highly recommend The Trout pub upstream at Godstowe Bridge, which might be a squeeze)
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hortense »

Hi Doug and Georgia
The Albin suits our purpose just perfectly and should make it under more bridges than most of our other boats.
Good for day trips and the odd overnight - just a shame the heads isn't big enough to accommodate a shower - although whilst writing I'm thinking how much headroom is in the aft cabin and could I fit one in there.....
Does anyone know if the old Volvo MD3 ( seawater cooled) is able to run a calorifier or do you need a fresh water system to do this.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Uhh, what's a "colorifier'? A hot water heater?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I believe it's what this side of the pond calls a heat exchanger.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hortense »

I've now stripped the front side cupboards out and the hull lining ready for a new fabric before refitting sanded and painted units. I'm going with white on all the flat panels with varnished teak edgings. I'll have cupboard doors fitted to the front bulkhead, wardrobe and underberth 'holes in the wall' then teak laminate galley floor and teak planking on the cockpit floor. I love the chest fridge on sliding rail solution as I have an old waeco freezer/fridge unit that will fit.
- all stuff that I've seen on this website --- what an inspiration you guys are for renovation of an old classic - I can't resist reading all about the possibilities for his little gem.
I was so surprised to see how popular the boat is in America and Canada- sales in the 70s must have been really successful for a little Swedish gem as this.
Kind regards to all of you.
Steve
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

What kind of teak laminate and how will you install the teak in the cockpit?
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hortense »

IMG_1523.PNG
I will glue the 1mm laminate to the saloon floor - (should curl up the curved sides)
And cut it round the hatches.
The same laminate on 6mm ply will be bonded to the existing deck plywood inserts. The rear insert over the exhaust will have an extended piece that reaches under the aft cabin door so that it covers the fibreglass decking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hortense »

IMG_1126.JPG
Just HOW much timber is on his boat!
I've stripped out the aft and front cabin doors, shelves from the galley, toilet, aft cabin and dinette.
The front bulkhead, the heads door the cabin door.
All the laminate/plywood will be primed and sprayed white using Rustoleum white.
All the solid teak edgings and door/ cupboard frames will be varnished - a bit non traditional but should lighten up the place and covers up a lot of damage to the varnished surfaces.
I'm spraying because I can't brush paint without leaving brush marks!
The photo shows brushed on primer which I will sand down before spraying.
The hull lining will be cream denim which I bought at the Southampton Boat Show. BArgain Price
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hortense »

Perhaps I should leave the new members forum and start a refurb trail in the proper section?
BAD news on the burgee front: the post office want £15.86 for customs charges!
I will still fly it with great pride.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”