• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New to me 1971 Albin25

Albin's "power cruisers"
doncart_2000
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Macedon, NY

New to me 1971 Albin25

Post by doncart_2000 »

We just purchased a 1971 Albin 25 with the AD21 Engine 9-11-2017.
The engine needs new fuel lines as air is getting into the fuel. The state of the boat is in poor shape, but I will work along at it to bring it back to a usable state.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: New to me 1971 Albin25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Cool! What is your hull number? Should be on a brass name plate under the steering wheel, something between 665 and 1126
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Pictures?
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Congratulations, and so the journey begins. I concour with Kerrye, pictures.
doncart_2000
Mate
Mate

Post by doncart_2000 »

The Hull number is 1025. I will work on pictures. Last night I found that the pick up tube in the fuel tank is cracked allowing air to get into the fuel. I have purchased some repair parts on ebay and will make the repair to the tank/ pick up tube when they come.
I changed all fuel lines filter. I also changed the coolant lines.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

dkirsop will have lots to say about getting that engine running.
Nice find, even more retro than the Volvo Pentas.
Cocoa Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Canaveral, Fl.

Post by Cocoa Jack »

Welcome aboard!
Capt. Jack
Port Canaveral, Fl.
doncart_2000
Mate
Mate

Post by doncart_2000 »

I have the engine running and starting good. I had the boat in the canal this weekend and ran about 6 miles. when i went to maneuver to the dock there was not any shifting forward or backward. Checked and found the selector to be very worn. I was able to shift by hand on the lever to get to the trailer. I am going to rebuild the selector and see if I could find a spare selector to go with my spare transmission.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

once looked at an Albin 25 in Rome, NY. Maybe 2 years ago. Any chance this is the same boat? That guy had had the transmission rebuilt or at least worked on but I think he also had a spare transmission as he was still having some problems.
doncart_2000
Mate
Mate

Post by doncart_2000 »

The guy that owned my boat was from Rome. The people that I bought from had to get a bill of sale from him to get the paperwork in their name. Yes I believe that it is the same boat. I think that that selector is the problem. The arm is a little lose on the pin and the plungers are worn. From Albin motors the parts to rebuild is about $475 without shipping.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

The guy in Rome told me he had had the transmission removed and rebuilt (?) to the tune of a few thousand dollars but was still having some problems. After I looked at it he messaged me that he had found another transmission was including it in the sale but raising the price. His name was Charles cox. In the process of considering that boat I communicated with another a25 owner who said his shifting problems were a result of a broken 1/8" roll pin in the dual acting cam which lifts the front plunger. #12 p17 albin 21 manual. You may want to check that
doncart_2000
Mate
Mate

Post by doncart_2000 »

That is the same problem that I found in the selector the 1/8" pin was missing. I made one out of a 16 Penny nail and it sort of worked and I was able to do sea trials last weekend until I returned to the dock and no forward or reverse. I disconnected the cable and shifting by hand was able to get it on the trailer. I have been working on getting the selector working and it just will not stay working. I have fussed and fussed with it and I can not get it to work for very long.
I emailed Albin Motor and asked if they would quote me a complete selector assembled and tested.

Thanks,

Don
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Try contacting nick scheuer. He is on this forum. He had problems shifting too. He could tell you what he did to fix it. Symptoms seemed identical to yours although he has the Volvo engine
doncart_2000
Mate
Mate

Post by doncart_2000 »

I think that I have read his post on the shifting problem that he had. I was able to get the selector to work last night. I had to wire one of the keepers so it would not fall out when there was a vibration. I will want to get and keep a spare one for when things go wrong. I have not heard back from Albin Motor as of yet!??!
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Congratulations on your recently acquired boat. The AD21 is an excellent engine but you may find gaskets and seals leaking if they have been in the engine for the last 46 years. I found most of mine were hard and brittle when I reconditioned my engine last year.

The gear selector can get worn and problematic - I know all about that pin falling out. Very embarrassing if it occurs just after you cast off ropes at the marina! I solved the problem by peening the pin so it became a tight interference fit where it slides into the lever arm. You might also want to pull the selector and check the condition of the plungers, they do become worn over time where they engage the clutch springs. All parts are available from Albin Motor so you don't have to buy a whole assembly if you don't want to.

Good luck with your new obsession!
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”