• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Battery locations?

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Battery locations?

Post by kerrye »

I initially had planned on AGM batteries for our frig since I was planning to put them in the forward cabin. Does anyone see any problems with putting lead acid batteries in these locations behind the cockpit seats? I ask because I was going to use the relatively affordable Sam's Club AGM's at $179 each but they closed down the Sam's Club in Syracuse NY where I planned to purchase them and it's very hard to find other Sam's Clubs which sell them. The alternative AGM's I found run about $250 apiece. Lead acid 6 volt golf cart batteries at Costco are only $84 so I'm thinking since I already have lead acid batteries for the engine and the rest of the boat, two more lead acid batteries outside the living space is no problem. Or is there some advantage to the AGM's which justifies almost triple the price?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Everything changes with AGMs. DA736 has them mainly because he got them cheap. When and If I upgrade, it will be to golfcart batteries, decent external voltage regulation on a Delco 10s alternator and a Promariner charger when connected to shore power.

Right now, I have installed a 60A internally regulated alternator that bolted right up to the MD17C. The original skinny belt is my big limiter on this engine, good for 70A, allegedly. I have two batts, grp 31, but run everything on one battery. Nothing fancy, when it gets dark, we use headlamps (though I just swapped everything inside to LEDs. No fridge, no AC, just a small inverter to charge the laptop, cell phones, Ipod and speaker. Simple. I have the 1,2, off, both switch and the second battery is kept charged by an echo charger. In the event I run things too low, the second battery is easily switched into the Main position to start the engine. I swap battery leads at end of each season, thus rotating the battery usage.

Anchor light Is LED with photocell and it plugs into cigarette/"vacuum cleaner" outlet, when on the hook in the Canal. I have never had to switch to second battery. When on the trailer, I drag out the Sears car charger once a month, run it on boost for 15 minutes or so, hear the bubbling, and switch back to normal and leave each battery on for 24 hours. Have had zero issues in 4 years. I keep a good eye on water and check with hydrometer a couple times a year.

Now AGMs...seems like overkill for my usage. We'll see this summer on an extended cruise. Just my two cents.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

My reason for AGM batts (after moving them to starboard bench seat locker to make room for 20 gallon holding tank) was due to the tight space & difficult access to check & fill electrolyte. If I recall the 3 group 27 dual purpose batteries, 1 for start & 2 in parallel house bank were $135 each at Cabelas. If you have to ask how much the attendant wiring upgrades, smart charger, and external voltage reg for the engine adds up to then you can't afford it.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”