• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Battery locations?

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Battery locations?

Post by kerrye »

Has anyone located batteries in these places. Was removing my original icebox, looked aft and saw this nice shelf. Checked quickly and it appears there is a matching shelf on the other side. Has anyone located batteries here? Was considering putting a golf cart battery on either side for our frig. The space seems pretty useless as it is (unless you put a hatch in on the cockpit seat back) but with some effort I think a battery could be placed there and secured. If you can't interpret the picture the space is under the side decks just aft of the lockers in the seat and just forward of the bulkhead which marks the forward end of the aft cabin. I haven't put a tape measure to the space yet but it looks just right to accommodate a battery, albeit a little high in the boat.
battery storage spot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Battery locations?

Post by kerrye »

Space is 91/2"wide, 13" high and 15" long.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Sounds like Golf Cart batteries would fit there - Be sure to secure them very well. If you don't have easy access to the tops to check/add water, better buy AGM GC's. I bought mine at Sam's Club

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The space has been used by several owners for locker storage. I bought two locker lids a fabricated two lockers in this location. In my opinion there is only enough room for one golf cart battery in each location so you would have to run cabling athwart ship to achieve 12v.

In my boat the previous owner installed 2 GC batteries beneath the fridge shelf but this reduced the vertical space available for the fridge. I found the additional battery capacity was not required for my use and removed them. I get by on 2 GC batteries in the original location and a flexible solar panel on the pilot house roof. Environmental conditions and personal use govern the decision making process.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I believe the original Albin 25 owner's manual states something to the effect that "ballast should not be placed low in the bilge, but rather as high and outboard as practical".

Looks like your shelves fit the bill, providing they are strong enough to support a battery's weight. May even help with the roll period in a beam sea.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

You're right that I'd need to run cables athwartships to get 12 volts. Shouldn't need to be all that heavy though if I'm just running the frig off these batteries.

I've been planning to buy the Sam's Club AGM's.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Your charging amperage will likely govern your cable size.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Charging amps plus length of cable run (counting round trip run, combined pos & neg) affects wire size & voltage drop.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I can confirm that a GC2 Golf Cart battery will fit in each of those spaces. I bought a CG2 plastic box and was able to slide it in there. The extra wide cable portion of the box lid won't fit but the bottom of the box will and with the extra wide sections cut off I think the lid will also.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

If you're getting AGM golf carts, you don't really need a battery box, plus it's easier to securely mount the batteries without a box. They need to be so well mounted that they couldn't move even if the boat went upside down

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I got the box because it has handless. The space is so close to the size of the battery that it won't take much to secure them
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Gravity does not apply to boats, having spent a few weightless moments securing a wayward anchor approaching Foulweather Bluff this summer. Strap 'em down.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Gravity does not apply to boats, having spent a few weightless moments myself securing a wayward anchor approaching Foulweather Bluff this summer. Strap 'em down.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I'm planning on installing this hatch in the cockpit seat backs to access the space where I plan to put the batteries. Anybody see any problems with using a hatch like this? I got the next size smaller but it was obvious a GC2 battery wouldn't fit thru it. Looks like this size should accept the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AS ... UTF8&psc=1
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pembroke Ontario

Post by FrankD »

Those hatch’s work fine and are easy to install.
This is why I love owners sites.....finds like this about extra battery space is great! I’ll be using an Engel fridge/cooler and will need extra battery space. Plan on mounting a panel on the forward cabin roof.
Keep us updated as this unfolds and yep.....pictures 😄

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”