• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmission replacement A27 Sport

Albin's "power cruisers"
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Transmission replacement A27 Sport

Post by Mainer »

I have a 1987 Albin 27 "Fisherman" (only one I've run across so far) with an Isuzu 6BD1 diesel and a Hurth HBW 360A transmission. At the end of last season I experienced some transmission slippage after a 5 hour cruise at 8 knots (2000 RPM). I immediately changed fluid and finished the season OK.

When the boat came out of the water I noted difficulty in turning the propeller shaft. This Spring I spent considerable time truing and then re-aligning the shaft after finding the cutlass bearing like new, but the shaft substantially out of alignment. I also changed trans fluid to synthetic.

Used the boat all summer of this year with no substantial problems, but did experience slow engagement from Neutral to Forward after long trips. Most folks I talked with suggested the transmission needed clutches replaced/rebuild. Finally, after researching rebuilding transmission vs. buying new, discovered HBW 360 is no longer made, but a near identical replacement is the ZF 63A.

I've just finished removing the Hurth (a miserable and difficult job) and its damper plate (which appears as new with no cracked springs and like new spline) from the bell housing.

I'm now researching prices for the ZF and so far have found best on line price is $1846 with free shipping. I'll be ordering it soon, but won't get to installation until next year (we summer in Maine where the boat is and are headed home to GA next week).

I'll come back in the Spring with a report on the ZF installation. Meanwhile if anyone has similar engine/trans and wishes to pick my brain, I'm happy to share and/all info on my experience so far.

Dick Jones
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Transmission replacement A27 Sport

Post by Beta Don »

I had a hydraulic Hurth ZF45A behind my Yanmar in our A27. My first experience with hydraulic transmissions and I loved it

Not familiar with your HBW360A, but if it was a clutch type and you're upgrading to a hydraulic, I think you'll love it too

The 'A' after a Hurth part number means the trans has a downangle output shaft and they come in various angles, so make sure your HBW360A, angle is the same as the ZF 63A you're buying

$1846 is a great price - Doubt you'll find anything new much cheaper and you wouldn't save that much buying used,which always comes with some risk

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”