• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Autohelm

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

A25 Autohelm

Post by Sunsetrider »

My future plans involve mostly single-handling. Hopefully over distance. So I have been taking steps to ameliorate the dangers and difficulties inherent in that, including:
- refrigeration, to reduce trips ashore for supplies (and to handle medications)
- dinghy stuff (davits and sponsons) to increase trips ashore :)
- solar - to reduce dock time, with beefed-up battery bank
- windlass - to reduce midnight terror when leaving a lee shore in a high onshore wind, and heart-attack avoidance pulling deep-sea weeds

and now . . . autohelm! Old school 3000 wheel pilot, which I am used to from sailing in the 80s. $500 from Dan, coming next week. No bells and whistles but it will hold a course while I freshen my orange juice or even sit up on the bow for a break from the freaking diesel banging. This is actually the final requirement for my perfect solo adventure vessel. I can't imagine crossing big water (like Lake Ontario, or the gulf stream) without it.

As for the old Volvo powerplant - finger-crossing should handle that issue adequately! From Cuba to Isla Mujeres? And down to Rio Dulce? :)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: A25 Autohelm

Post by Beta Don »

The AH 3000 should serve you nicely - I used one on a sailboat for several years
Sunsetrider wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:24 pmFrom Cuba to Isla Mujeres? And down to Rio Dulce? :)
You're gonna need some extra fuel - Half a dozen 5 gallon plastic jugs?

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hi Stephen! Yes, we're back home now after 9,800 road miles, 28 US states, 2 Canadian provinces, especially yours & Andrea's hospitality, and 55 days.
Wheel autopilot sounds like the way to go. Our boat came with a tiller auto pilot which I tried once but never used since. To use it one has to pull up the floor board in the aft cabin, attach a short emergency tiller & the tiller pilot. It has a wired remote control at the helm, but didn't seem to hold course very well. Total PITA. Wheel autohelm much better idea.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Quite a trip, Steve! Must feel good to put your feet up at last. But now I have to figure out where to put those 30 gallons of fuel Don wants me to take! My "boat clothes" already smell of diesel . . .
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

No.. Your diesel smells of boat clothes!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”