• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A 25 weight?

Albin's "power cruisers"
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pembroke Ontario

A 25 weight?

Post by FrankD »

Curious...
The old brochure and manual list weight at 1600 kilos....about 3550lbs.
I imagine 500+ lbs of kit on top would put trailering weight about 4000lbd plus trailer if water and fuel tanks were close to empty.
Boat lift scales are notoriously way out of whack.
Has anyone weighed theirs on a reliable-accurate scale?
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A 25 weight?

Post by kerrye »

I seem to recall someone reporting boat with gear and trailer on a truck scale around 6800lbs. I haven't found anyone who believes the 3550 figure. That figure does seem on the light end to me although the foam core does make it lighter.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

We had our trailer built for the boat. It is a King trailer from Marysville, WA. NW not NE, give or take a few thousand miles.

It is hot dip galvanized, dual disk axles, sadly not SS rotors, surge brakes, utilizing bunks, not rollers. Just over 6 large out the door, in December of 2013. We had to go through local dealer, with whom we will not do business again, service related issues.

I took the boat, truck and trailer through a scale. Trailer and boat is 6280 with a tongue weight of 240 lbs. We tow it behind a 1997 Ford 3/4 ton with 7.3 powerstroke diesel. We haven't travelled far as we mostly use the trailer in lieu of marina storage. We live right on Hood Canal, so we moor the boat on our own ball in the summer. Our trailer is now free, so it's all gravy from here on out. This truck/trailer combination works quite well, what little towing we have done. Desert Albin has towed his rig all over creation so his input will be good.

Boat is a 1973 A25 with the BC hardtop, the full fiberglass top that goes over the original and extends clear back over the open cockpit. It has full canvas/isinglass on the sides as well. At the time of scale weight, she was pretty much loaded for cruising.

I could probably inquire about trailer weight, but this should be close enough for your purposes.

Looking at this trailer tells me you should be able to find a manufacturer just about anywhere. It is all bolt together parts and I could have a nice pile of stuff in about an hour with a good air wrench. Hold out for better brakes than TieDown engineering. Do your homework.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

I had my trailer built using electric over hydraulic disc brakes. I chose them for the following reasons: they only work when the brake pedal is depressed and they also work in reverse when backing down the ramp. Surge brakes are satisfactory for short hauls but if you plan to haul for any long distances, and particularly if you haul over long multi-kilometre hills then I strongly recommend electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Surge brakes have been known to drag on extended downhill gradients resulting in overheating of the brakes.

Not all manufacturers know how to configure bunks to accommodate an Albin. I specified rollers for my trailer and the manufacturer talked me into bunks. They did not work well and could not be configured to work well on this particular rig. The manufacturer then replace the bunks with rollers at his cost.

The boat ramp that you will be using will also affect your choice. The ramp at my marina is relatively short. Trailers with bunks that work for an Albin 25 tend to be longer than trailers with rollers and the boat sits lower. You need to know if this will work on your local ramp.

If you choose rollers you need to incorporate keel rollers for support. My trailer came with two main cross members on which I mounted pairs of keel rollers. This works but I would prefer three pairs if I was to do it again which requires a third cross member.

Here are some pictures of my rig.
Front View.jpg
Front Rollers.jpg
Rear Rollers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I seem to recall someone reporting boat with gear and trailer on a truck scale around 6800lbs.
That was probably me. I always like to know what my rig actually weighs. That weight measured on a truck stop scale on the way home from picking the boat up from PO, & was total trailer weight, with trailer unhitched from the truck, also with a 75 lb hard shell dinghy hanging off the back. Interesting that others come in with similar ballpark numbers. BTW, our disk brakes are from Kodiak.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Agree. The better brakes are Kodiak. Are those with SS disks?
LopezMike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lopez Island, WA. USA San Juan Islands

Post by LopezMike »

Not sure if anyone reads these old posts but I just found a scale receipt for Caprice on the trailer. 6336 lbs. Disconnected from the towing rig I'm told but I'm not certain. The tongue weight is highly variable due to being a double axle unit. Its doesn't take much of a dip for the tongue weight to drop to zero. Much rattling at the hitch! I must rectify this some day.

The bare trailer shipping weight is advertised at 1633 lbs. There have been some additions to the trailer like the spare tire and its mount and bunk work and such. I'm going to take a stab at 250 lbs. of added weight to the trailer. This brings its weight to, say, 1900 lbs. This is a galvanized steel trailer. Double axle. EZ Loader 7500 lb. rated.

Math brings us to a boat weight of 4436. Caprice has a Yanmar 3GM30F. A rather massive hard top and a fairly lightweight aluminum bottomed inflatable. And a small outboard. I have no idea of the fluids on board at the time of weighing.

I doubt that the factory numbers included batteries, water or fuel much less food and various supplies.

Nothing startling but another data point in our speculations.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Mike,
You haven't mentioned much if anything about your boat . Pictures please! If it has a 3GM30F that's same engine we have & they are great engines. Tri County diesel in Bellingham is a good source for parts. Our boat + aluminum trailer weighed 6,050 lbs on a truck scale when unhitched from the truck. Your figures sound about right. Diesel fuel weighs 7.1 lbs/gallon, so a full tank would weigh 142 lbs. A full 14 gallon water tank up in the bow would add another 112 lbs. Yanmar engine weighs less than the Volvo it replaced which would offset some of the added weight of the hardtop. Next time you're down by the south end of Lopez stop by Barlow Bay & see if that A25 is still out on a mooring & take some pictures.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

I ran Driftless up on a Cat scale last year and if I remember right i ended up at 6000 lb. it has a similar engine to a 3YM30. We tow with a 2010 sequioa that has a 9700 lb tow rating. I have drum surge brakes but the only substantial hills i been going over is the I-90 hills in MA-NY and the boat is so draggy that i stay at 60-70 mph with no brakes.

Here is some stuff from last year.
http://www.albinowners.net/aog/viewtopi ... ale#p80596
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”