• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New to me A25 #1222

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: New to me A25 #1222

Post by kerrye »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 128&type=3

Not sure that photo will be visible but it shows our semi displacement hull
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Frank, that stern of yours really looks like an oddball, neither quite the full displacement nor the semi displacement of later DeLuxe models. And what's with that boxy rudder?

At upper right of the photo below is our 1971 full displacement model (red bottom paint). At lower left is a 1977 DeLuxe version (blue bottom paint). Your's seems to be quite unlike either one. Perhaps a one-off experimental design in between early and later models? Very interesting.
A25 exhaust thru hull comparison.jpg
By the way, you asked in a PM about 9 gallon holding tank dimensions. They are: Length(athwartships) 18.75 inches, width (fore and aft) 12.75 inches, tapered height 10.75 inches on one end, 9.75 inches on the other.
Battery Well 1.jpg
Side by side comparison of old 9 gallon tank next to new 20 gallon tank.

DSCN3409.JPG
It is possible to fit a 20 gallon tank in that space as I did, but you have to relocate the battery bank to do it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

Just read the notes regarding Frank's new vessel. You can sense his excitement with his purchase. What a fun thing it is to see someone share his great enthusiasm for the Albin hobby we all love.

Go Frank and family!! Spring is coming!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Now we all have to take pictures of our bottoms for Frank. Yikes!
I'll see if we have enough daylight tomorrow for a shot.

BTW, our holding tank is on the starboard side in front of the closet. As I recall it is about 13 gallons. Same size as the aux fresh water tank in the same location on the port side.
I get to replace the joker valve this spring! Hopefully, that's all.
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pembroke Ontario

Post by FrankD »

Wooooow........lots of responce!
1st: Yes...the hull truly is an ODD BALL.
Seems almost an experiment in the transition from full displacement to semi displacement. Not important to me as I'm a sailor and 6knots in a straight line is SMOKING!
2-why pull the Westerbeke? Even when the past owner says it runs like a top... This will be my retirement boat left stored at Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos. What a perfect, economical (both fuel ANDREW storage fees) boat to leave here! BUT.....BUT... Crossing the Gulf Stream I want the confidence of a new engine. Coming back yearly to exp,ore the out islands the same. THEN...the Westerbeke is over 30yrs old. A great engine BUT any break down here is crazy expensive (yes...this message coming from the Abacos on my current sailboat) parts for a 30+ yr old engine are still there...but dwindling. Then throw in shipping, 45% duty, then ad 7.5% VAT tax......you get the picture. Couple that with marina fees waiting on repairs ANDY a far more limited availability of qualified mechanics... Ad the remoteness of many of the islands I cruise and Yep....dependability and faith in what your throttling up is truly important.
Tank question was for adding more drinking water NOT black water capacity. Great location for a deck fill off rain gutters. Heads pump overboard here.. Would go bigger tank but need battery room too.
Will check out a bigger V berth water tank once home in the shop.
Thanks for your comments lads.
Enjoy the weekend.
This message coming from Marsh Harbour, Abaco island aboard Allure....Compac 27 sailboat
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by FrankD »

PS...the rudder looks like a similar mod as a friend has on his Monk 36 trawler for better low speed control
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by FrankD »

FrankD wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm Wooooow........lots of responce!
Seems almost an experiment in the transition from full displacement to semi displacement. Not important to me as I'm a sailor and 6knots in a straight line is SMOKING!
2-why pull the Westerbeke? Even when the past owner says it runs like a top... This will be my retirement boat left stored at Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos. What a perfect, economical (both fuel AND low storage fees) boat to leave here! BUT.....BUT... Crossing the Gulf Stream I want the confidence of a new engine. Coming back yearly to exp,ore the out islands the same. THEN...the Westerbeke is over 30yrs old. A great engine BUT any break down here is crazy expensive (yes...this message coming from the Abacos on my current sailboat) parts for a 30+ yr old engine are still there...but dwindling. Then throw in shipping, 45% duty, then ad 7.5% VAT tax......you get the picture. Couple that with marina fees waiting on repairs ANDY a far more limited availability of qualified mechanics... Ad the remoteness of many of the islands I cruise and Yep....dependability and faith in what your throttling up is truly important.
Tank question was for adding more drinking water NOT black water capacity. Great location for a deck fill off rain gutters. Heads pump overboard here.. Would go bigger tank but need battery room too.
Enjoy the weekend.
This message coming from Marsh Harbour, Abaco island aboard Allure....Compac 27 sailboat
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by FrankD »

FrankD wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 pm
FrankD wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm Wooooow........lots of responce!
2-why pull the Westerbeke? Even when the past owner says it runs like a top... This will be my retirement boat left stored at Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos. What a perfect, economical (both fuel AND low storage fees) boat to leave here! BUT.....BUT... Crossing the Gulf Stream I want the confidence of a new engine. Coming back yearly to explore the out islands the same. THEN...the Westerbeke is over 30yrs old. A great engine BUT any break down "here" is crazy expensive (yes...this message coming from the Abacos on my current sailboat) parts for a 30+ yr old engine are still there...but dwindling. Then throw in shipping, 45% duty, then ad 7.5% VAT tax......you get the picture. Couple that with marina fees waiting on repairs AND a far more limited availability of qualified mechanics... Ad the remoteness of many of the islands I cruise and Yep....dependability and faith in what your throttling up is truly important.
Enjoy the weekend.
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by FrankD »

FrankD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by FrankD »

Too funny....
Old guys and tech ....not a good match
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by FrankD »

Still trying to clean up grammar
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by FrankD »

Guess Ya can't delete or simply edit your first post...
Sorry for the ramble.....
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I am going to rely on my 40 year old MD17C for the same adventure from the 1000 Islands. But at the boat show I met a diesel mechanic / teacher with 2 spare MD17Cs for parts for me as needed and a full day diesel course. The savings will pay for a lot of ear plugs.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Well then, I guess you wouldn't want a used black water holding tank for fresh water. Dang, I was hoping someone might want to buy my old 9 gallon one. Can only add that any tankage added should be placed as high up & as far outboard as possible to help counter the snap roll rate, as the A25 relies on hull form for stability & has no weighted ballast as a sailboat keel does. Suggest you visit the Albineers of BC site & look up the owners manual if you don't already have a copy for technical info on the hull design & added weight.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

PS, click that little "..." box in the upper right corner of those extra duplicate posts & you can delete them.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”