• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

LD 28 quits running

Albin's "power cruisers"
jhgullett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bass River YC, South Yarmouth MA

Re: LD 28 quits running

Post by jhgullett »

Thanks for these very useful posts.

That LD28 injection timing belt sounds like something to look into since I have no idea when mine was last changed (engine showing 4,000+ hrs).

Does anyone have a part number / source for this injection timing belt ?

Will look forward to the procedure description.

Thanks !
John
(wrapped up for the winter now)
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

The Fuel injection pump drive belt, can absolutely- positively be replaced without pulling the engine. I have done the job myself on our 84 Family Cruiser. its not even that hard a job. As soon as I read your post I knew that would be the problem. I was a Dealer tech. at a Nissan dealer in the early 90s when some of the Maxima's with that engine were on the road. The Inj. pump drive belt was the only problem we ever had with them.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Panhdjoe,

Thats so cool! Its too bad Nissan did not keep building this rugged engine. Sure its loud (especially in boat applications) but its simple, sturdy and reliable. Sure there are plenty of other great engines out there but this thing was built to have whatever it was mounted to, crumble around it. My local auto recycler has a forklift that has a more automotive version of the LD28 powering it.

Its true, really not that bad of a job, not a big deal. From what I understand, its more difficult on the Maxima.

You may have seen, I attempted a write up on the job. If you are willing to share any info you gained while working as a tech or otherwise, that would be awesome. Post it to the thread or email/pm me.

Torrey
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
bennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dallas Texas

Post by bennett »

I was able to replace the timing belt on my 1987 Albin Express LD28 without removing the engine.I removed the heat exchanger which allowed enough room to access the timing belt cover.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

jhgullett wrote "Does anyone have a part number / source for this injection timing belt ?" The Belt can be orderd by many auto parts stores by specifying a 1983 Nissan Maxima with the Diesel engine. I prefer the belts from a Nissan dealer because they have the mraks on them to match the marks on the crankshaft and pump sprockets, on the after market belt one must count a certain number of teeth on the belt between the marks on the sprockets. I personally can not remember how many teeth that was. I let my shop manual go with the boat when I sold it to Jeff Scott. I am not sure if the OEM belt is still available as Nissan has stopped making parts for that engine.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

I am told NAPA 22397 will work. Double check just to be sure.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”