• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

LD 28 quits running

Albin's "power cruisers"
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

LD 28 quits running

Post by Gunny »

Motoring ICW at approx. 8mph and engine just shuts off. Fluids and filters are good. Plenty of fuel. Engines turns with no problem. Just won't crank.
Mechanic today says isolating fuel solenoid doesn't help. Pump is getting no fuel. He is getting with some pump folks for consultation. Anyone have any ideas or experiences? Thanks
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: LD 28 quits running

Post by kerrye »

A simple test is to fill a 5 gallon tank with diesel, bypass the existing fuel system and run the hose as close to the engine as possible. Use the priming bulb to pump fuel to the engine and see if it runs. If it does you know the problem lies in the original fuel system upstream of where you plumbed in the temporary tank. It could be something like a broken pick up tube in the tank, a plugged screen in the tank or an empty tank.
When you say 'pump is getting no fuel' do you mean the lift pump or the injection pump?
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Have you confirmed the injection pump timing belt is not broken or stripped? There is a dust cover over it, remove both belts and the crank pulley then I think there are 4 or 5 (10mm?) bolts to remove the cover see the belt. Sudden shut down/ no restart is a classic belt symptom.

Is there a filter element plugged up? Kerrye has a great suggestion to install a temporary tank.

It is possible that there was an internal pump failure but not likely. They are pretty robust but do contain action for lifting pump from the tank then injecting it at the right time to the right cylinder. 2 actions.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gunny »

Will keep all posted and thanks for your suggestions. I am 200 miles from my boat so I have to let the mechanic do his thing. He will be informed of your input however.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

When did you last change the injection pump timing belt? Your symptoms sound like a broken belt. Recommended change is about 500 hrs, but most last about 1000 hrs if not run hard. Good luck. Ben '87 27FC with Nissan.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Another thought- You do know that the fuel solenoid requires power to allow fuel through it? This engine is different than most in that the solenoid must be energized to run the engine. Isolating it (removing power) will shut the engine down. Ben
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TorreyWP »

tego wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 pm This engine is different than most in that the solenoid must be energized to run the engine. Isolating it (removing power) will shut the engine down. Ben
Excellent point Ben!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gunny »

Just got a call from my mechanic. Too early for bad news but such is life! States that timing chain is okay but the belt for the pump is broken. Doesn't sound too bad? However he says he cannot remove the front covers etc to access the pulley etc without removing the engine!
Anyone know any secrets to removing the cover and such without removal of the engine? Seems bulkhead is too close to allow removal..Sounds drastic and expensive but at present I have a boat that doesn't work
Thanks for your comments
Gunny
A27FC "Knot Again"

kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I don't know the layout of an A27 but is it possible to cut an access panel in the bulkhead to change the belt?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

cannot remove the front covers etc to access the pulley etc without removing the engine!"

Seriously? I can't replace my crankshaft without removing the engine.

I'll keep my A25.

I did cut a hole in the back of the pantry cabinet to access the front of the engine. I did also have to whack a little fiberglass to facilitate belt removal. All caused by having to move engine forward due to longer transmission. None of this is helpful if the boat is in the shop ready for repair. Ah, boats...
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TorreyWP »

First: I must say,

It can totally be done without removing the engine.

That said, Im really glad you found the problem and honestly, its not a huge job. It is time consuming because the space is "limited" but this procedure is considered regular maintenance and not at all impossible to be done with the engine in the boat.

I have spent a lot of time in this area of the engine on my own 27 having changed the belt and played around with the injection pump timing etc. diagnosing an over fueling issue I had.

If you would like, I can send the resources I used to complete the job and my notes for your use or the mechanic's (I have been meaning to post a write up of the procedure...). Sound like you may have found a mechanic who does not want to do the job with the engine in the boat and now that you know what the problem is, you could maybe find someone more willing to do the job. I'd do it in a few hours if I were closer!

Let me know if I can help further. Torrey
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Buffalo to Charleston?! Pfft. Call Desert Albin Steve and he'll chauffeur!
(Good to hear it's not open heart surgery on the boat. I think you have a point about the mechanic not wanting to do the job.)
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gunny »

Capt Pollard I will take all info etc you care to provide. Have used this mechanic in the past and he is very good, reliable and I wish cheap but alas not so.
Seems I remember an access ort in the dry locker that I never really understood and didn't take the time to. Maybe it is the luck I need.
Thanks for the info and will look forward to your input.
gunnymon5@mail.com
Gunny "Knot Again"
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TorreyWP »

Hey Gunny,

Im on the last day of my honeymoon in Hawaii, (I never stop trolling the site!) Ill be in the airport most of the day tomorrow and will write a more detailed step by step walk through then which I think this group needs with the amount of LD28's still in operation out there.

This engine is a workhorse and really tough to kill due to how ruggedly it was cast. Outside of a super hot overheat,low oil situation, fuel quality issue, there isn't much that will make it stop running outside of the timing belt.

I'll have more for you tomorrow and honestly, Im not afraid to travel or assist over the phone if it comes to that. Another group of Albin'ers delivering a friend's 32+2 from Cleveland got stuck a couple of hours from Buffalo in the Erie Canal with Cummins 6BT water pump issues and I got them back underway eventually. Like I said, Ill be back near my boat for picture references in a few days and can offer a walk through tomorrow that I will edit as necessary.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Gunny »

Thanks Capt Pollard and congratulations to you and yours. When you have the chance send the info. Hope Hawaii was enjoyable
Gunny

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”