• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Painting my Albin 25 Ticaboo

Albin's "power cruisers"
markdbecker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Higgins Lake, Michigan

Painting my Albin 25 Ticaboo

Post by markdbecker »

Looking to paint my topside this spring. Has anybody used a paint by Blue Water called Revolution. Its a resin blend............
Ticaboo
1970 Albin 25 series 2 #575
Yanmar 3GM30F
Residence: Jackson, Michigan
Homeport: Higgins Lake, Michigan & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Painting my Albin 25 Ticaboo

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

No, but painting topsides is on my list for later this winter. I have heard that Rustoleum makes a marine deck paint, a one part urethane I believe, that is comparable to Interlux but much lower cost. If you do go with Blue Water I'd be interested in how that works out.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

I'd also be interested in finding out about the Blue Water. Topsides and non-skid areas are top of the list (for now) for the Spring, just before a hopefully early splash for an uninterrupted season next year (fingers crossed). My hard-standing neighbor this year was using Rustoleum topside, and was very pleased with it, both as easy to apply and as a pretty tough, good looking finish. Admittedly, his vessel is a Chesapeake Bay deadrise crabber, not your average yacht, but it looked pretty good.

I'm going to try KiwiGrip non-skid; I know a couple of people who have used it and who have been pleased with the result. It is an epoxy product from New Zealand, with aggression based on length of time after application before using the fancy roller that comes with it. I'll try it on the aft cabin deck and hatch interior first (with varying aggressions as needed).

I'll be sure to post pix as the work progresses (unless I screw it up really badly).
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

After using Brightside for roof top paint, not understanding the meaning of "bright" and "side" and having less than stellar results, I thought, why not use BilgeKote for the bootstripe and top stripe on my A25. I had plenty left over from Koting the Bilge and figured if it will hold up to diesel, raw sewage, anti-freeze, battery acid, and who knows what else, it ought to hold up to Hood Canal. So far so good.

Painting the rest of the deck is going to be a bit involved since a PO slathered some more brightside around and it is beginning to show how meticulous he was in preparation. Not. I am waiting for you all to show me how it's done. For whatever reason it has held up somewhat underfoot. The rough surface may be why. It just blistered on the smooth BC hard top, I was told "because it got wet". "Side" paint, not "Top". Doh! I have another quart of white bilgekote waiting for the sun to shine.

"I'll be sure to post pix as the work progresses (unless I screw it up really badly)." Ain't that the truth! I can relate to that. I couldn't quite perfect the roll and tip method on the top, and it shows. No pictures forthcoming.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Where can you find/buy Kiwi Grip? Seems like we're on the same page with deck painting. Our A25 is one of the oldest, lowest hull #s, if not THE oldest of any on AOG. While the original gelcoat on the hull sides is in great shape, topsides really show her age and are in need of repainting. 3+ years of sitting in the hot AZ sun for a boat that also spent the late 1980s in Florida doesn't help. This sailing buddy that has a shop downtown where I was able to do my bottom job last year has a paint guy who does excellent work on painting f/g. I'd just have to do all the sanding & prep work with pneumatic sanders. He has a big 220V compressor down there that can power air tools. Well worth it to pay someone who can do Bristol quality paint work. I should probably consider replacing the crazed plexiglass windows on the front of the main cabin and back of the aft cabin like Kerrye did a while back while I'm at it.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Strangely enough, I was able to get a sample quart of KiwiGrip from Amazon, via a company that - wait for it -------------------------specializes in cosmetics and theatrical make-up. I'm still reeling from that. However, you can find it online our local Ace Hardware was stocking it earlier in the year.
A word of interest, I am reliably informed that the 4" roller that comes with it is more than adequate for most jobs. You can get "goofy" rollers up to 9", but these are too large to do a good job. KiwiGrip is water soluble until it goes off, and is easily washed out of the roller between uses.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I painted the deck of Manatee with a one-step product, roll/tip method. One of the main brands from marineoutfitters.com. The project guys on iboats and various internet sites seem to love the Rustoleum one-part product.

I painted the plywood floor of an aluminum mid-60's project OB with Kiwigrip. Good product but was unable to keep it from hardening the half-can after the job was finished.

I used Bilgecoat for the interior of my dinghy. It does a great job of coating the surface with a waterproof coat, but is very hi-gloss and shows every dimple.

I also have a box of every wax/polish/cleaner known to mankind. :)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”