• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 27 Value

Albin's "power cruisers"
mollygray
Mate
Mate
Home Port: none

Albin 27 Value

Post by mollygray »

Hi, saw a 1990 Albin 27 listed for sale. I have not looked at the boat yet. Boat is suppose to be in decent shape, inline 6 Isuzu , owner not sure of the model, but its not a family model. Not sure what a boat like this is worth. Any specific things I should look at when I check it out ? Thanks, Jeff
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Re: Albin 27 Value

Post by Jay Knoll »

mollygray
Mate
Mate

Post by mollygray »

Thanks Jay, but it says I'm not authorized to read this forum. Jeff
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

I keep the updated Albin 27 Buyers Guide with two new supplements on my website.
mollygray
Mate
Mate

Post by mollygray »

Thanks JT, a lot of good info., sounds like I need to have someone do a pre-survey to see if its worthwhile. Jeff
Shogun
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Stratford, Ct

Post by Shogun »

Jeff,

I paid 25K for my boat 2 years ago. 1987 Albin 27 Sport. Boat was well maintained and had 1100 hours on the Isuzu 6cyl. Have put 2 seasons on now and 250 hours and I'm very pleased with my purchase. I see boats listed and sold for less but I would say it all depends on the condition of the boat especially the engine. To repower one of these would probably cost 20k alone so keep that in mind. Good luck
Britt Hughes -
Albin27 Sport
mollygray
Mate
Mate

Post by mollygray »

Thanks Britt, sounds like you have a keeper. How hard is it to get parts for Isuzu ? The boat that I'm interested in looks like it's a running project boat ; wet, soft, leaky. Jeff
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

I've been watching Albin 27's in various locations on Craigslist, as well as some on Yachtworld. I've seen prices from $12,000 up to mid 20's over the past year. I would consider myself a very thorough buyer and prior to my search I got a "Sold Boat" report from a broker friend that told me the actual selling price for every Albin 27 sold in U.S. by brokers for the past two years. This is a powerful negotiating tool.

I bought my 27 Sport with Isuzu from Lake Champlain 3 1/2 years ago for $22,500 after a thorough search and viewing of all 9 27's for sale in New England at that time. It is in very nice condition and has bow thruster, autohelm, Garmin GPS with transducer/fish finder, radar, electric windlass, electric head, full camper cockpit canvas, smooth hydraulic steering, and a very nice hull with very smooth bottom.

My observation is that 27's have lost some value since then.

My suggestion would be to get your hands on a "Sold Boat" report so that you have factual data, and pay particular attention to sales prices this year.

Most of the rest of the evaluation process is appearance, electronics and other accessories, convenience of location, and the all important boat and engine survey and sea trial results.

Good luck,

Dick
mollygray
Mate
Mate

Post by mollygray »

Thanks Dick
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Not that I've got money to burn but sometimes I think we can go a little bit crazy trying to determine the "right" price for a boat. These aren't investments, they are, to coin a phrase, experience machines. And I don't know how much of a price I could put on the experiences that my wife and I have had on the water over the past 46 years of boating. Obviously the purchase of the boat is the cost of entry and its general condition is certainly a deciding factor but you also have to weigh how much time on the water you're missing searching for the perfectly priced boat. I have to say for the type of cruising we do and where we do it the 27FC is the perfect boat for us, I missed the opportunity to buy one from a forum member that was selling it here because I was trying to be a savvy buyer and probably lost it because I was trying to save $1,000. Consequently I had to wait another 18 months -- and spend money and time on inspection trips hotels etc looking at a bunch more 27s before I found one that was in acceptable condition. And even then I knew that I had work in front of me to bring it up to my standards.

Good luck on your search, use your head to find the right boat but listen to your heart/gut when deciding how much it is really worth to you.
BTW is this the boat?

http://www.boatersnet.net/boats-for-sale/ads/1988_27_foot_ALBIN_FAMILY_CRUISER__64891.php
mollygray
Mate
Mate

Post by mollygray »

Thanks Jay, looking for a fair price for a solid boat. Not expecting anything near perfection, but don't want a major restoration project either. The boat I inquired about, the price was dropped today from 16.5 to 13.5. I was hoping to buy a boat this fall, but most boats are getting hauled and wrapped by now. Hopefully I'll have one soon. Jeff
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Good luck Jeff

If you think that this is "the one" for you but you but you can't sea trial it until the spring you might consider making a contingent purchase offer with a deposit to secure the boat subject to sea trial and survey when the weather improves

Jay
mollygray
Mate
Mate

Post by mollygray »

Sorry Jay, I missed the link you posted. That is not the boat. It is a 1990 Sport Model , it is listed on Craigslist, the boat is in Cambridge MD. It was still in the water. Thanks, Jeff
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Got it Jeff, the boat looks interesting I sure would like to see a pic of the engine. I think that you will find some water damage in the main cabin. I'm making this observation based on the condition of the cover boards. When you enlarge the pics you'll notice them hanging down you can see this in the starboard side pic with the table and the galley pic with the lights sort of dangling off the underside of the cabin,. The prior owner of my boat had pulled off the rubrail, cut out the old bedding compound and refastened with SS bolts but he never replaced the rotted coverboards!

It could be a leaky rubrail, ports, or a poorly bedded fore hatch (or all of the above!) but it is something that many of us (including me) have dealt with, so do some searching in the forum and you'll find a bunch of information. I'd also suggest that you do some careful tapping on the side of the pilothouse underneath the windows, to determine if there is rot in these areas. The good news is that the boat has the newer metal window frames so you don't have to worry about rebuilding them, but in my Albin they weren't properly bedded and the balsa core rotted. It was a PITA to fix but it was doable, it just took time and a lot of West System!

Keep us posted!
mollygray
Mate
Mate

Post by mollygray »

Thanks Jay, I have not seen the boat, but having talked to the salesman and telling him that I would have a survey done prior to purchase, he in turned gave me a more complete story of the boat. He didn't feel that the boat would survey well. Sounds like anything cored is very suspect. Might be a good boat for someone to get on the water for a low price , but you might have to take the boat right down to the hull to get it solid again. Not for me, I'm about 2 1/2 hours from a marina where I would keep a boat and just don't want to get into a major project boat. Jeff

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”