• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Interior odors - and a possible "cure"

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Interior odors - and a possible "cure"

Post by WillieC »

Dry the boat and cure the jerky: Sonoran Desert 120. Available at all the finer chandleries.
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

I can recommend the degreaser in the bilges for those of us opposite of the Sonoran dessert with 90% humidity and 100 degree temps on the east coast! Also a spray bottle mixed 50% vinegar and water will work wonders in the cabins. It changes the surface PH and inhibits mold growth. The three odor producers on Sirenia have been Head?/Tank, Bilges and musty funk in the cabins. All have been eliminated.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Dry the boat and cure the jerky: Sonoran Desert 120. Available at all the finer chandleries.
Hadn't thought of making jerky. Have to try that. :lol:

Also a spray bottle mixed 50% vinegar and water will work wonders in the cabins. It changes the surface PH and inhibits mold growth.
One of the best eco friendly ideas I've heard yet. I know all about that East coast humidity, having grown up on the Jersey Shore. Things have definately gotten hotter over the years. When I was a kid summers on Barnegat Bay were mostly in the 70s and 80s with the occasional hot spell in late July to mid August where 95 was about as hot as it ever got. Air conditioning in houses was unheard of, or maybe a window unit here or there. Now most newer homes have central air. In winter we got a good amount of snow.

Out here it used to cool off not long after Labor Day back when I first moved here 40 years ago. Now it's at least Halloween before we're done with low 100s, Thanksgiving before it completely drops out of the 90s. Even now in mid December it's hit low 80s to mid 70s, and not a hint of frost. All through at least next week our overnight lows are staying in the range of 42 to 48.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

"musty funk in the cabins"...one of the all-time greatest rock/blues/fusion jazz bands of all time.
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Siamons International 025/326 Concrobium Mold Control Trigger Spray, 32-Ounce (Amazon)
This mold remover and inhibitor is recommended by ‘mike holmes’ the Canadian do it right builder guy .
I have some just not tried yet.
I previously filled bilge with water and bleach solution and recurlated for a couple of days. Did not seem to work so will try above stuff.
Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

In case anyone is interested in coming to Florida in April, MTOA, the trawler Association, is having the Head Mistress, Famous for her expertise in getting rid of Boat Odors will be speaking at the Rendezvous in Ft. Pierce. Here’s a link to the event (we are helping with new member recruitment). Otherwise, we’ll be sure to update this post with other ideas not yet discussed.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mtoa-south ... 2456999027

By the way, heard a lot about the vinegar and water. Since we are living on the boat for 5 or 6 months, I just can’t seem to try it and make the whole boat smell like vinegar!
Last edited by Bearkeley on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Bearkeley wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:00 am In case anyone is interested in coming to Florida in April, MTOA, the trawler Association, is having the Head Mistress, Famous for her expertise in getting rid of Boat Odors will be speaking at the Rendezvous in Ft. Pierce. Here’s a link to the event (we are helping with new member recruitment). Otherwise, we’ll be sure to update this post with other ideas not yet discussed.
That's great that you've snagged Peggie Hall for this event! I don't see a link in your post to the event . . .
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

Nancy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 pm
Bearkeley wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:00 am In case anyone is interested in coming to Florida in April, MTOA, the trawler Association, is having the Head Mistress, Famous for her expertise in getting rid of Boat Odors will be speaking at the Rendezvous in Ft. Pierce. Here’s a link to the event (we are helping with new member recruitment). Otherwise, we’ll be sure to update this post with other ideas not yet discussed.
That's great that you've snagged Peggie Hall for this event! I don't see a link in your post to the event . . .
Thanks Nancy....just updated with the link. Yes, we are looking forward to her presentation!
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”