• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Interior odors - and a possible "cure"

Albin's "power cruisers"
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Interior odors - and a possible "cure"

Post by DCatSea »

Like many older boats, Mazboot has a definite odor to her (like me, I suppose), so one of this year's layup tasks is too "solve the funk".

This will involve giving everything a darn good cleaning, with Pinesol or similar, and hanging the attached Zeolite bags (see pic) in the for'd and aft cabins. I may put a dedicated one in the head. There's plenty of through-flow air when running, but I may put in a solar extractor.

These things worked very well on odors, mold and mildew, and chemical fumes. They are also rechargeable (leave 'em in the sun for few hours) and last for ever.
IMG_3899.JPG
I'm also going to take out and get rid of the ages-old Lexan that doesn't seem to do much other than take up space in the head and ER. and funk up the engine room (really not nice when we've been running in the heat). This will open up space for an additional 1 or 2 house batteries. The Chesapeake is well-found with pump outs, so I'm not expecting any contamination "issues".

Any other suggestions for de-funking an older vessel will be gracefully received.

Thanks AOGers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Interior odors - and a possible "cure"

Post by Tree »

Doug. I found with my 28 the biggest cause of odour is the heads and bilge. Keep the bilge dry and flush the head at the end of the day with fresh water and all is good.

I also have a couple of odour eating air fresheners in the cabin that help. Oh and I have a small dehumidifier running all year which I think makes a difference.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

I thought about a dehumidifier, and now that you mention it I think I must do a bit of research and see what's out there for year round use.
I have used the Zeolite bags before, and found them efficacious.

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Whatever you do, don't use Pinesol. It's gross and will will never leave a fresh scent or - my preference - no scent. I've found that most nastiness is in the bilge - either stinky oily stuff or old sanitation hoses and maybe a permeated holding tank. I would start in the bilge with degreaser (Purple Power or similar) and a scrub brush. Rinse well. Follow with dishwashing detergent. Hit it with an Oxyclean solution after that if it still smells.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Excellent advice Nancy - thanks. I must admit that Pinesol is pretty gross stuff, but a lot better than that old UK standby, Jeyes Fluid, which is used to defunk stables and kennels (with hounds).

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

DCatSea wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:21 pm Excellent advice Nancy - thanks. I must admit that Pinesol is pretty gross stuff, but a lot better than that old UK standby, Jeyes Fluid, which is used to defunk stables and kennels (with hounds).
Which just goes to show that the Motherland does not have the answer to everything. ;) I'd steer clear of anything whose name includes the words "Outdoor Cleaner". lol!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Stable cleaner?! I'm voting for the purple stuff.
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

When i replaced my 30 year old Cruiseair air conditioner, much of my "old boat" smell went away.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
Sisu22
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ventura, CA

Post by Sisu22 »

Seconded on the degreaser in the bilge. That is the worst smell causer. Trouble is keeping them all dry - and I have lots of leftover oil from the PO(s).
1994 TE 28' w/ Cummins 250
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

This stuff did a very good job of cleaning my bilge. Fill the bilge with water, add some of this stuff, let it sit for a while and then let it drain out. Surprised me.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40897-Arma ... ge+cleaner
jetter
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Skerryvore , Ontario

Post by jetter »

I have had success with a Tide Pod. Dropped under shower sump, add water, take a short ride on a rough water day, pump dry. Bilge smells like laundry room at home!
Russell
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

I've had really good luck with Kanberra products.

http://www.kanberragel.com

There are a few different versions of the product. I have used the gel and spray. It is really good at absorbing the smells left over after a deep clean but won't necessarily mask odors. It has a neutral non invasive smell.

Other than that, focus on absorbent materials in your cabin(s). Renting a carpet cleaning machine with the hand attachment is a great way to get a deep clean on cushions etc.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

A carpet cleaner - great tip. I'll be doing that in the spring. Cushions are up in the attic now, so I can do it at home.
I'm also going to do a thorough bilge clean, followed by an all over pressure wash. wish I could get some "Teepol"
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

I found most odors (other than toilet plumbing) arose from humidity. I've used Davis Air Dryer 1000's in my boats for several years and found them to be very effective, not only in keeping mildew and mold at bay, but reducing/eliminating odors.

I store my 27 Sport in my driveway, so have shore power available. I leave 3 units, one in the forward cabin, one in the pilot house engine room and one under the cockpit deck with bilge covers off throughout shrink wrapped winter storage.

In season, I leave one in the pilot house while the boat is in the slip with shore power.

I also have a dripless shaft seal and sop up the rudder shaft seal drippings daily, so the only water in my bilge is fresh or rain water, which may help.

I'm pleased to say the boat has virtually no bad odors or mildew/mold issues with this arrangement.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I found most odors (other than toilet plumbing) arose from humidity. I've used Davis Air Dryer 1000's in my boats for several years and found them to be very effective, not only in keeping mildew and mold at bay, but reducing/eliminating odors.
I've found "Sonoran Desert 120" to also be very effective. :wink:
DSCN3520.JPG
20170505_152723_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”